A bid to restore a 19th century fresco in a Spanish church has gone horribly wrong, with Jesus transformed into what one commentator has described as something out of Planet of the Apes.
The painting ‘Ecce Homo’ by the artist Elias Garcia Martinez, had been displayed in the Sanctuary of Mercy Church at Borja near Zaragoza for 120 years.
Churchgoer Cecilia Giménez decided she would try to renovate it. The trouble was she wasn’t quite up to the job.
“The priest was aware…he knew,” she insisted. “Of course I did it because I was told to do it… “
Asked by a television journalist whether she hid while she was carrying out the ‘restoration’, Giménez said: “No, everybody that came into the church saw me. I never tried to hide”.
Today the artist’s granddaughter Teresa García surveys the damage, finding it hard to take in what’s happened to her family treasure.
“Before she had only touched the robe, but the problem came when she started on the head,” she said. “Clearly she has destroyed the painting”
The transformation has given ideas to other would-be artists on the internet where the faces of everyone from Michael Jackson to the Pink Panther have been superimposed on the original fresco.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Iraq: Progress in fight to oust ISIL from Falluja but ‘civilians face starvation’
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
France holds international commemorations to mark the centenary of the Battle of Verdun
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Wires > News
- 20:56 CET Protester, police officer killed in Congo election protest – U.N.
- 20:33 CET No Syria talks for 2-3 weeks, U.N. says
- 20:26 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:48 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants
- 18:59 CET Egypt rights activist says banned from travel