A bid to restore a 19th century fresco in a Spanish church has gone horribly wrong, with Jesus transformed into what one commentator has described as something out of Planet of the Apes.
The painting ‘Ecce Homo’ by the artist Elias Garcia Martinez, had been displayed in the Sanctuary of Mercy Church at Borja near Zaragoza for 120 years.
Churchgoer Cecilia Giménez decided she would try to renovate it. The trouble was she wasn’t quite up to the job.
“The priest was aware…he knew,” she insisted. “Of course I did it because I was told to do it… “
Asked by a television journalist whether she hid while she was carrying out the ‘restoration’, Giménez said: “No, everybody that came into the church saw me. I never tried to hide”.
Today the artist’s granddaughter Teresa García surveys the damage, finding it hard to take in what’s happened to her family treasure.
“Before she had only touched the robe, but the problem came when she started on the head,” she said. “Clearly she has destroyed the painting”
The transformation has given ideas to other would-be artists on the internet where the faces of everyone from Michael Jackson to the Pink Panther have been superimposed on the original fresco.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 2Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 5Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:52 CET Japan’s top court orders retrial in ‘maternity harassment’ case
- 11:48 CET East of Kobani, Turkish town appreciates ‘peace’ brought by…
- 11:43 CET Burkina Faso opposition challenges president’s bid to extend term
- 11:38 CET Russian prosecutors detain more suspects in Total CEO plane crash
- 11:37 CET Tunisian policeman killed in clash with militants – ministry
- 11:25 CET Special Report – Why Ukraine’s revolution remains unfinished
- 11:01 CET North Korea to bar foreign tourists over Ebola concerns – tour…
- 10:59 CET Lebanese army kills three men in raid – security sources