A bid to restore a 19th century fresco in a Spanish church has gone horribly wrong, with Jesus transformed into what one commentator has described as something out of Planet of the Apes.
The painting ‘Ecce Homo’ by the artist Elias Garcia Martinez, had been displayed in the Sanctuary of Mercy Church at Borja near Zaragoza for 120 years.
Churchgoer Cecilia Giménez decided she would try to renovate it. The trouble was she wasn’t quite up to the job.
“The priest was aware…he knew,” she insisted. “Of course I did it because I was told to do it… “
Asked by a television journalist whether she hid while she was carrying out the ‘restoration’, Giménez said: “No, everybody that came into the church saw me. I never tried to hide”.
Today the artist’s granddaughter Teresa García surveys the damage, finding it hard to take in what’s happened to her family treasure.
“Before she had only touched the robe, but the problem came when she started on the head,” she said. “Clearly she has destroyed the painting”
The transformation has given ideas to other would-be artists on the internet where the faces of everyone from Michael Jackson to the Pink Panther have been superimposed on the original fresco.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the footy
- 3Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 4What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Turkey and Israel agree to normalise ties after rift over Israeli navy killing of 10 Turkish pro-Palestinian activists in 2010
French fans ecstatic after making the quarter finals
Pope Francis leaves Armenia
Thousands attend inauguration of enlarged Panama Canal
Italian mafia boss captured in mountain village
Wires > News
- 20:08 CET Italy rescues over 3,300 migrants over weekend
- 20:01 CET Pride parade steps off in New York under Orlando’s shadow
- 19:41 CET Israel and Turkey agree to normalise ties – senior Israeli official
- 18:55 CET Turkish police fire tear gas in Istanbul to disperse Gay Pride…
- 18:51 CET Italy arrests second most wanted mafia boss
- 17:57 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 17:54 CET Fallout from British EU vote alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 17:31 CET Rosatom’s global nuclear ambition cramped by Kremlin politics