It has emerged a Somali Olympic sprinter failed to make the London Games after allegedly dying on a boat on her way to Italy.
According to the Italian daily, Corriere della Sera, Samia Yusuf Omar left Ethiopia last year and managed to reach Libya.
It is thought she hoped to reach Italy and find a coach for the 2012 Games. Omar had previously represented Somalia in the 200 meters at Beijing. Although she came last in her heat, her brave effort won her widespread applause.
Thousands of Africans regularly attempt the treacherous journey in overcrowded boats. Italian officials say at least six thousand people died trying last year.
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 20:33 CET Hot dogs (many), banners and barbecues as America celebrates July 4
- 20:31 CET Car bombs kill 11 in Baghdad at end of Ramadan fast
- 20:29 CET Tunisia’s president declares state of emergency after hotel attack
- 19:29 CET German eurosceptic party founder ousted by eastern rival
- 19:08 CET Egypt says 25 militants killed in air strikes as Sisi inspects…
- 18:40 CET Syrian army and Hezbollah lay siege to rebel-held border city
- 15:42 CET Saudi says wanted militant killed in exchange of fire
- 15:26 CET Iraqi jets drop leaflets over Mosul promising to recapture city