It has emerged a Somali Olympic sprinter failed to make the London Games after allegedly dying on a boat on her way to Italy.
According to the Italian daily, Corriere della Sera, Samia Yusuf Omar left Ethiopia last year and managed to reach Libya.
It is thought she hoped to reach Italy and find a coach for the 2012 Games. Omar had previously represented Somalia in the 200 meters at Beijing. Although she came last in her heat, her brave effort won her widespread applause.
Thousands of Africans regularly attempt the treacherous journey in overcrowded boats. Italian officials say at least six thousand people died trying last year.
Latest world news
Pope Francis says ‘never again’ to Armenians massacred in WWI
Obama stands by ‘back of queue’ warning on post-Brexit UK trade deal
Scotland, London and teenagers speak out against Brexit
Venezuela: opposition says it is on track to organise recall referendum
Spain’s politicians discuss Brexit in final day of general election campaigning
Wires > News
- 13:10 CET Turkey detains 28 people over alleged financial links to cleric…
- 13:06 CET France wants quick British divorce from EU, Germany cautious
- 12:57 CET Founding EU members urge Britain to get on with EU divorce
- 11:24 CET Palestinian leader retracts rabbis water poisoning allegation
- 10:46 CET China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan
- 09:17 CET Thousands rally in Australia for same-sex marriage
- 03:28 CET China media snidely criticise Brexit vote, but upbeat on UK ties
- 03:19 CET Three Mexican federal police gunned down in market