It has emerged a Somali Olympic sprinter failed to make the London Games after allegedly dying on a boat on her way to Italy.
According to the Italian daily, Corriere della Sera, Samia Yusuf Omar left Ethiopia last year and managed to reach Libya.
It is thought she hoped to reach Italy and find a coach for the 2012 Games. Omar had previously represented Somalia in the 200 meters at Beijing. Although she came last in her heat, her brave effort won her widespread applause.
Thousands of Africans regularly attempt the treacherous journey in overcrowded boats. Italian officials say at least six thousand people died trying last year.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET After Brexit: Roadmap for a leap in the dark
- 19:23 CET U.S. warns of possible Europe attacks, no specific threat
- 19:17 CET U.N. food agency prepares for deeper humanitarian crisis as battle…
- 18:53 CET Death toll from Russian air strikes in Idlib climbs to 23-monitor
- 18:49 CET Kenyan president, rival meet after protests over vote body
- 18:44 CET Housing for refugees takes centre stage at Venice Architecture…
- 18:02 CET Israel’s settlement drive is becoming irreversible, diplomats fear
- 17:56 CET Paris plans to build migrant camp in north of city – mayor