Aid agencies are warning that a cholera epidemic on the borders of Sierra Leone and Guinea is worsening.
French charity Médecins sans Frontières says more than 250 people have died across West Africa
Doctors say hygiene and sanitation in many slums and urban areas as well as the onset of the rainy season are to blame.
More than 13,000 people have been hospitalised since February.
“They are crying of cramps in their feet and even their hands are cramping. They are falling down, they have got dizziness. Some of them say: ‘I want to die, I’m tired, I’m tired of this disease.’ At the end of the day some of them die,” said Fatmata Kargbo, a nurse for Médecins sans Frontières.
Cholera spreads quickly through contaminated water or food causing severe diarrhoea and vomiting.
Since the last major epidemic in 2007, many people in the region have lost their immunity to the disease.
Medical teams are opening additional treatment centres in Sierra Leone’s capital Freetown and Conakry in Guinea.
Doctors estimate that with proper treatment fewer than one percent of cholera patients should die. Vaccines are not the only solution to prevent outbreaks, experts say that poor living conditions must also be tackled.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:12 CET Iohannis promises corruption crackdown as new Romanian president
- 15:10 CET Iran nuclear diplomat gets key post as head of foreign oil deals
- 14:54 CET U.S.-led forces launch 13 air strikes in Iraq, three in Syria
- 14:52 CET Greek PM offers 2015 election once bailout talks complete
- 14:19 CET Obama says Putin presiding over economic contraction – …
- 14:12 CET Egypt allows in travellers from Gaza for first time since October
- 14:06 CET Obama vows “do everything I can” to close Guantanamo – …
- 13:39 CET Lebanon says it needs French helicopters quickly to fight jihadis