Thousands of people have turned out at a protest in Brussels against the imminent release of the ex-wife of Belgian serial killer Marc Dutroux.
Among them was one of two surviving victims, Laetitia Delhez.
The gruesome crimes rocked the world when in 1996 Dutroux was convicted of kidnapping and raping several young girls. Michelle Martin was jailed for helping him.
They killed two of their victims and left two others to starve to death in a makeshift dungeon.
Sixteen years after he and Martin were imprisoned, she could be due for parole.
A court ruled last month that Martin, who is now 52, could be freed to live in a convent southeast of Brussels. The ruling, which is currently being appealed, has infuriated the victims’ parents.
“If we take the Michelle Martin case, who killed four children, who raped, imprisoned and kidnapped around 10 more, being set free after one third of the sentence is way too light,” said Jean-Denis Lejeune, father of one of the victims.
Dutroux is serving life for kidnap, torture and abuse.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:14 CET Italy arrests doctors suspected of taking bribes to discourage…
- 16:47 CET Western leaders step away from nuclear talks with Iran as deadline…
- 16:45 CET U.S. House Republicans sue over Obama’s healthcare law
- 16:42 CET Zimbabwe calls South African report on its 2002 election ‘rubbish’
- 16:40 CET Fugitive Ukraine tycoon wins, then loses, Serbian citizenship
- 16:28 CET U.S. Biden voices support for Ukraine, denounces Russia’s Putin
- 16:27 CET Sudan asks U.N. mission in Darfur to prepare to leave
- 16:16 CET Obama to visit India in January for constitution ceremony, meet…