More than 100 officers from Berlin’s police force were put on alert for an anti-Islam march by the extreme-right group Pro Deutschland.
Standing outside one of the city’s mosques, about 50 protesters waved banners with the slogan ‘Hasta la vista Salafista’, referring to Salafism, a strict form of the Islamic religion.
In what is likely to be seen as an inflammatory move, they brandished a caricature of the Prophet Mohammed.
“We don’t ridicule anyone. We will present our arguments,” said Manfred Rouhs, Chairman of Pro Deutschland.
“We have to begin a debate and that couldn’t have happened if not for a series of demonstrations in April and May. Politicians only react if a subject gets attention,” he added.
Berlin’s administrative court gave the go-ahead for the march, despite anger from Muslim groups.
The rally faced a counter-protest by around 100 far-left supporters, many of them Muslims.
“We consider what is happening here a provocation. We think that events like this one should be few and far between, especially as they threaten the social and religious peace in Germany,” said Burhan Kesici, from Islamrates, the German Islamic Council.
There were concerns over a possible repeat of the violence seen at a similar rally earlier in the year.
In 2005, a Danish newspaper published cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed which led to huge protests and violence around the world.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 06:03 CET Captain of stricken Korean ferry may not have been on bridge -…
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake