The whistleblower website and its supporters have a notable ally in renowned Spanish human rights investigator Baltasar Garzon.
Heading up Assange’s defence team, the jurist will lead legal efforts to enforce Ecuador’s asylum decision.
“The situation now is, of course, a stand-off in a way,” WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson told euronews by telephone.
“I will hope that the British authorities would change their position and give him a safe passage and come to their senses in a way and realise that the right thing to do is to give him a safe passage from the embassy to Ecuador.
“Now, if they are still maintaining their position, Julian’s legal – the head of his legal team, Baltasar Garzon – has indicated that he would take the matter to the International Court of Justice and seek the court to enforce the UK to abide by this decision, on the basis of the fact that, de facto, Julian has a refugee status.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Blackout: Gaza’s only power plant destroyed by Israeli tank attack
- 4Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 5Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 18:54 CET EU agrees first broad sanctions on Russia; Ukraine fighting kills…
- 18:42 CET Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- 18:25 CET Air France, Virgin among airlines avoiding Iraqi airspace
- 18:09 CET U.S. nuclear negotiator will not guarantee end to Iran extensions
- 17:31 CET U.S.-Iran nuclear negotiator ‘concerned’ about detention of…
- 16:22 CET Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- 16:15 CET Suspect in Jewish Museum attack extradited to Belgium
- 15:46 CET Colombia’s Marxist ELN rebels to blame for explosions – police