The whistleblower website and its supporters have a notable ally in renowned Spanish human rights investigator Baltasar Garzon.
Heading up Assange’s defence team, the jurist will lead legal efforts to enforce Ecuador’s asylum decision.
“The situation now is, of course, a stand-off in a way,” WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson told euronews by telephone.
“I will hope that the British authorities would change their position and give him a safe passage and come to their senses in a way and realise that the right thing to do is to give him a safe passage from the embassy to Ecuador.
“Now, if they are still maintaining their position, Julian’s legal – the head of his legal team, Baltasar Garzon – has indicated that he would take the matter to the International Court of Justice and seek the court to enforce the UK to abide by this decision, on the basis of the fact that, de facto, Julian has a refugee status.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 2Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 3Kyiv ultimatum to pro-Russian militia to disarm expires
- 4Australia avoids worst of Cyclone Ita but stormy weather still expected
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Kyiv calls for UN peacekeepers as pro-Russians approach Putin
- 1Missing flight MH370: ‘most promising lead’ yet as search crews detect two signal pings
- 2Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 5Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead -…
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift
- 04:05 CET Recovery effort underway after two die in Australia coal mine
- 02:09 CET Iran’s Zarif not worried about pushback from hardliners on nuclear…
- 01:35 CET Thousands flee gun battle as Chad withdraw from Central African…
- 01:06 CET U.S., China in ‘productive’ talks after North Korea test threat
- 23:40 CET Bombs wound three policemen in Cairo