Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from this year’s US Open due to injury.
The Spanish world number three has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal missed the London Olympics because of a recurrence of tendinitis in his knees and subsequently withdrew from ATP Tour events in Toronto and Cincinnati.
“I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play,” Nadal said.
“I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions.”
Nadal won the US Open in 2010, sealing a career Grand Slam. Last year, he was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic.
The 2012 tournament, in New York, runs from 27 August to 9 September.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 02:09 CET Argentina ‘lacked efficiency’ in front of goal
- 01:54 CET Germany’s strength in depth delivers ultimate prize
- 01:42 CET Harman British Open bound after winning in Illinois
- 00:03 CET Tottenham striker Adebayor recovering from malaria
- 21:52 CET Higuain miss leaves Argentina and Germany goalless at halftime
- 19:44 CET Nibali perfectly poised for climbs, say Astana team
- 18:41 CET Marquez chalks up ninth win in a row
- 18:02 CET Martin powers to stage win, Nibali surrenders yellow