Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from this year’s US Open due to injury.
The Spanish world number three has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal missed the London Olympics because of a recurrence of tendinitis in his knees and subsequently withdrew from ATP Tour events in Toronto and Cincinnati.
“I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play,” Nadal said.
“I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions.”
Nadal won the US Open in 2010, sealing a career Grand Slam. Last year, he was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic.
The 2012 tournament, in New York, runs from 27 August to 9 September.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 17:33 CET Bell returns to form as England extend advantage
- 16:10 CET Judge rules tax fraud case against Messi will go ahead
- 15:48 CET Malik to get frozen pension funds from PCB
- 14:50 CET Plenty to talk about as F1 takes a break
- 13:54 CET FIFA ask FIGC to investigate Italy racism row
- 12:52 CET Mercedes team order came from panic, says Lauda
- 12:49 CET Atletico bolster attack with France’s Griezmann
- 11:45 CET Swede Antonsson rejoins Copenhagen in time for Champions League…