Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from this year’s US Open due to injury.
The Spanish world number three has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal missed the London Olympics because of a recurrence of tendinitis in his knees and subsequently withdrew from ATP Tour events in Toronto and Cincinnati.
“I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play,” Nadal said.
“I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions.”
Nadal won the US Open in 2010, sealing a career Grand Slam. Last year, he was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic.
The 2012 tournament, in New York, runs from 27 August to 9 September.
- 1European Handball Championships: Germany to face Spain in final
- 2‘‘I was born to race’‘ – 15-time motorcycle world champion Giacomo Agostini
- 3Formula One: Renault present car and team for 2016
- 4Guardiola signs three-year contract to manage Manchester City
- 5American duo Cartica and Pizzi win 2016 World Marathon Challenge
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Wires > Sport
- 04:17 CET Lee grabs Phoenix Open lead, Mickelson five back
- 22:50 CET Liverpool collapse nothing to do with protest, says coach
- 21:20 CET Alli boxes clever and proves a knockout for soaring Spurs
- 20:42 CET Another home win for Saints despite Wanyama dismissal
- 20:32 CET Kerber leads German fightback, Russia in danger of going out
- 20:27 CET Isinbayeva’s comeback thwarted by injury
- 20:24 CET England begin Jones era with victory in Scotland
- 19:30 CET Vonn chalks up World Cup win number 76