Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from this year’s US Open due to injury.
The Spanish world number three has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal missed the London Olympics because of a recurrence of tendinitis in his knees and subsequently withdrew from ATP Tour events in Toronto and Cincinnati.
“I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play,” Nadal said.
“I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions.”
Nadal won the US Open in 2010, sealing a career Grand Slam. Last year, he was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic.
The 2012 tournament, in New York, runs from 27 August to 9 September.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Sport
- 14:29 CET Argentina’s search for elusive final key continues
- 14:17 CET Williamses renew rivalry as little sister eyes Serena Slam
- 13:21 CET Du Plessis leads South Africa to easy win in Bangladesh
- 12:59 CET Lauda dismisses talk of Mercedes supplying Red Bull
- 11:44 CET Ecclestone has more talks with Monza
- 08:18 CET Australia diminished after Harris forced to call it quits
- 06:59 CET Villa fires New York City to win over Montreal
- 06:01 CET Lost opportunity for Hurricanes but some positive signs