Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from this year’s US Open due to injury.
The Spanish world number three has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal missed the London Olympics because of a recurrence of tendinitis in his knees and subsequently withdrew from ATP Tour events in Toronto and Cincinnati.
“I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play,” Nadal said.
“I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions.”
Nadal won the US Open in 2010, sealing a career Grand Slam. Last year, he was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic.
The 2012 tournament, in New York, runs from 27 August to 9 September.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 14:36 CET England’s Stimpson takes first gold medal in Glasgow
- 14:28 CET Japan name former Mexico boss Aguirre as new coach
- 13:15 CET Indian shuttler Kashyap hopes to be on song in Glasgow
- 13:13 CET Lambie back at flyhalf as Sharks shuffle team
- 11:29 CET Olympic champion Farah pulls out of Commonwealth Games
- 11:02 CET England’s early World Cup exit hits UK pub operators
- 10:05 CET White’s influence writ large on Super Rugby semis
- 08:59 CET ICC rejects 2018 offer, cricket stays out of Commonwealth Games