Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from this year’s US Open due to injury.
The Spanish world number three has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal missed the London Olympics because of a recurrence of tendinitis in his knees and subsequently withdrew from ATP Tour events in Toronto and Cincinnati.
“I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play,” Nadal said.
“I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions.”
Nadal won the US Open in 2010, sealing a career Grand Slam. Last year, he was the runner-up to Novak Djokovic.
The 2012 tournament, in New York, runs from 27 August to 9 September.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 11All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 06:49 CET Australian amateur Murdaca books U.S. Masters berth
- 02:01 CET Disappointed captain Clarke says lacking match practice
- 00:46 CET Wallaby Beale feels ‘vindicated’ after text message scandal
- 23:04 CET Warnock claims keeper was ‘almost assaulted’ against West Brom
- 21:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid
- 21:16 CET Valencia celebrate imminent Lim takeover with victory
- 21:11 CET Wenger hails ‘super’ Sanchez after Chilean sinks Sunderland
- 20:14 CET Balotelli given Rodgers backing after another goalless afternoon