Human rights groups say hate crimes in Greece are rising and that police behaviour is making the situation worse.
They say in the past six months there have been hundreds of victims and that state crackdowns on illegal immigrants are encouraging nationalist sentiment.
Activists say it is not just the frequency of the attacks that has increased but also the ferocity.
“In the past six months from the testimonies that we have, there have been about 500,” says Javied Aslam, president of the Pakistani Community of Greece. “Just over 500 people have told us that they were attacked by fascists. And now, in the past three weeks to one month it’s moved on from verbal attacks to knuckle-dusters and bats and now they go out with knives – so in the past three weeks more than twenty people have been stabbed and have had to have hospital treatment.”
Because of recent police operations against illegal immigrants, rights groups say people are now fearful of even going to the authorities if they are attacked.
“People are really scared now and they don’t say anything to anyone. It’s terrible, a really bad situation,” Aslam added.
Migrant groups say there is evidence to suggest that the people carrying out the attacks are associated with vigilante groups and Golden Dawn.
The extreme right-wing party gained seven percent of the vote at the last election.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 5Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Latest world news
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Barack Obama: ‘Comedian-in-Chief’
Wires > News
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…
- 13:48 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source