13/08/12 08:31 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Britain’s Anthony Joshua claimed gold in the Super Heavy Weight division, making up a three-point deficit in the final round to clinch the title on countback. Amid extraordinary scenes for Joshua after an 18-18 draw with Italy’s Roberto Camarelle brought the house down.
Uganda’s Stephen Kiprotich stunned the Kenyans and many other people besides to clinch gold in the Marathon. The 23-year-old burst past Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang around the 38km mark to leave his two rivals trailing and claim only Uganda’s second ever Olympic gold in Athletics.
In basketball the United States took gold in a thrilling and closely fought contest against Spain. Although the Americans won, it was not until the fourth quarter that they started to pull away. Despite that Spain fought until the very last second to bring the final score to 107-100.
It was a good day in boxing for Ukraine as Vasyl Lomachenko won his second Olympic Games title, defeating Korea’s Soonchul Han in the men’s Light Weight final. And in wrestling Japan won their first men’s gold in 24 years after Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu defeated India’s Sushil Kumar.
Russia became the first team in the history of men’s Olympic Volleyball to win the final from two sets down as they stunned Brazil 3-2 at Earls Court this afternoon.
Meanwhile Lithuania’s Laura Asadauskaite claimed the final gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games with victory in the women’s Modern Pentathlon competition.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 18:10 CET Wales peg Ireland back to draw Six Nations opener 16-16
- 17:37 CET Gasquet beats Mathieu to retain Montpellier title
- 17:01 CET Arsenal back in title race with win at Bournemouth
- 16:45 CET Willett keeps his nerve to win Dubai Desert Classic
- 14:38 CET Dutch stun Russia to reach Fed Cup semi-finals
- 14:05 CET Leicester can emulate Forest’s 1978 triumph, says O’Neill
- 13:04 CET Pakistan’s Shah banned for three months for doping offence
- 12:51 CET Vunipola the bedrock of Jones’ new England