13/08/12 08:31 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Britain’s Anthony Joshua claimed gold in the Super Heavy Weight division, making up a three-point deficit in the final round to clinch the title on countback. Amid extraordinary scenes for Joshua after an 18-18 draw with Italy’s Roberto Camarelle brought the house down.
Uganda’s Stephen Kiprotich stunned the Kenyans and many other people besides to clinch gold in the Marathon. The 23-year-old burst past Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang around the 38km mark to leave his two rivals trailing and claim only Uganda’s second ever Olympic gold in Athletics.
In basketball the United States took gold in a thrilling and closely fought contest against Spain. Although the Americans won, it was not until the fourth quarter that they started to pull away. Despite that Spain fought until the very last second to bring the final score to 107-100.
It was a good day in boxing for Ukraine as Vasyl Lomachenko won his second Olympic Games title, defeating Korea’s Soonchul Han in the men’s Light Weight final. And in wrestling Japan won their first men’s gold in 24 years after Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu defeated India’s Sushil Kumar.
Russia became the first team in the history of men’s Olympic Volleyball to win the final from two sets down as they stunned Brazil 3-2 at Earls Court this afternoon.
Meanwhile Lithuania’s Laura Asadauskaite claimed the final gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games with victory in the women’s Modern Pentathlon competition.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
Golden State Warriors save match point in Western Conference final
Mourinho ready to manage ‘giants’ Manchester United
Wires > News
- 23:54 CET Scientists disagree over Zika risk at Brazil’s Olympics
- 23:43 CET Northern Ireland extend unbeaten run with Belarus win
- 23:28 CET Rashford nets place in record books as England win
- 22:55 CET Euro-bound Ireland held to draw by late Dutch strike
- 22:16 CET Middlesbrough sign Danish winger Fischer
- 22:14 CET McEnroe to work with Canadian Raonic
- 21:21 CET Czechs crush Malta as Rosicky shines on return
- 20:54 CET 2014 victory has not sated Real’s thirst for glory – Ramos