Britain’s Anthony Joshua claimed gold in the Super Heavy Weight division, making up a three-point deficit in the final round to clinch the title on countback. Amid extraordinary scenes for Joshua after an 18-18 draw with Italy’s Roberto Camarelle brought the house down.
Uganda’s Stephen Kiprotich stunned the Kenyans and many other people besides to clinch gold in the Marathon. The 23-year-old burst past Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang around the 38km mark to leave his two rivals trailing and claim only Uganda’s second ever Olympic gold in Athletics.
In basketball the United States took gold in a thrilling and closely fought contest against Spain. Although the Americans won, it was not until the fourth quarter that they started to pull away. Despite that Spain fought until the very last second to bring the final score to 107-100.
It was a good day in boxing for Ukraine as Vasyl Lomachenko won his second Olympic Games title, defeating Korea’s Soonchul Han in the men’s Light Weight final. And in wrestling Japan won their first men’s gold in 24 years after Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu defeated India’s Sushil Kumar.
Russia became the first team in the history of men’s Olympic Volleyball to win the final from two sets down as they stunned Brazil 3-2 at Earls Court this afternoon.
Meanwhile Lithuania’s Laura Asadauskaite claimed the final gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games with victory in the women’s Modern Pentathlon competition.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:01 CET Disappointed captain Clarke says lacking match practice
- 00:46 CET Wallaby Beale feels ‘vindicated’ after text message scandal
- 23:04 CET Warnock claims keeper was ‘almost assaulted’ against West Brom
- 21:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid
- 21:16 CET Valencia celebrate imminent Lim takeover with victory
- 21:11 CET Wenger hails ‘super’ Sanchez after Chilean sinks Sunderland
- 20:14 CET Balotelli given Rodgers backing after another goalless afternoon
- 19:44 CET Coric loses out while Federer reaches another Basel final