13/08/12 08:31 CET
Britain’s Anthony Joshua claimed gold in the Super Heavy Weight division, making up a three-point deficit in the final round to clinch the title on countback. Amid extraordinary scenes for Joshua after an 18-18 draw with Italy’s Roberto Camarelle brought the house down.
Uganda’s Stephen Kiprotich stunned the Kenyans and many other people besides to clinch gold in the Marathon. The 23-year-old burst past Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang around the 38km mark to leave his two rivals trailing and claim only Uganda’s second ever Olympic gold in Athletics.
In basketball the United States took gold in a thrilling and closely fought contest against Spain. Although the Americans won, it was not until the fourth quarter that they started to pull away. Despite that Spain fought until the very last second to bring the final score to 107-100.
It was a good day in boxing for Ukraine as Vasyl Lomachenko won his second Olympic Games title, defeating Korea’s Soonchul Han in the men’s Light Weight final. And in wrestling Japan won their first men’s gold in 24 years after Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu defeated India’s Sushil Kumar.
Russia became the first team in the history of men’s Olympic Volleyball to win the final from two sets down as they stunned Brazil 3-2 at Earls Court this afternoon.
Meanwhile Lithuania’s Laura Asadauskaite claimed the final gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games with victory in the women’s Modern Pentathlon competition.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 19:52 CET Chelsea trio charged by FA after Sunderland defeat
- 19:13 CET Januzaj opts to play for Belgium, says coach Wilmots
- 18:54 CET Farbrace named England assistant coach
- 17:44 CET Ethiopia appoint Portugal’s Barreto as coach
- 17:37 CET Europe split by financial iron curtain, says Champagne
- 16:17 CET Ferrer suffers early defeat in Barcelona
- 16:05 CET Sri Lanka players resolve pay dispute
- 16:03 CET Singaporean fixer arrested in Helsinki