Britain’s Anthony Joshua claimed gold in the Super Heavy Weight division, making up a three-point deficit in the final round to clinch the title on countback. Amid extraordinary scenes for Joshua after an 18-18 draw with Italy’s Roberto Camarelle brought the house down.
Uganda’s Stephen Kiprotich stunned the Kenyans and many other people besides to clinch gold in the Marathon. The 23-year-old burst past Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang around the 38km mark to leave his two rivals trailing and claim only Uganda’s second ever Olympic gold in Athletics.
In basketball the United States took gold in a thrilling and closely fought contest against Spain. Although the Americans won, it was not until the fourth quarter that they started to pull away. Despite that Spain fought until the very last second to bring the final score to 107-100.
It was a good day in boxing for Ukraine as Vasyl Lomachenko won his second Olympic Games title, defeating Korea’s Soonchul Han in the men’s Light Weight final. And in wrestling Japan won their first men’s gold in 24 years after Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu defeated India’s Sushil Kumar.
Russia became the first team in the history of men’s Olympic Volleyball to win the final from two sets down as they stunned Brazil 3-2 at Earls Court this afternoon.
Meanwhile Lithuania’s Laura Asadauskaite claimed the final gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games with victory in the women’s Modern Pentathlon competition.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5Family tragedy shocks America after father kills five children
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 14Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 15Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 16Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:23 CET Skelton’s progress a weighty matter for Wallabies
- 07:01 CET All Black Carter hopes to be playing in two weeks
- 06:05 CET Palestine soccer player charged with sexual harassment
- 04:23 CET Queiroz ends contract saga by signing Iran deal
- 03:29 CET Hughes replaces Australia captain Clarke for Pakistan ODIs
- 03:17 CET World Cup winner Cowan fills a hole at the Auckland Blues
- 03:08 CET World Cup 2022 the ultimate goal for reborn Afghanistan
- 02:32 CET Mann-Rea the answer to Australia’s hooker shortage