13/08/12 08:31 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Britain’s Anthony Joshua claimed gold in the Super Heavy Weight division, making up a three-point deficit in the final round to clinch the title on countback. Amid extraordinary scenes for Joshua after an 18-18 draw with Italy’s Roberto Camarelle brought the house down.
Uganda’s Stephen Kiprotich stunned the Kenyans and many other people besides to clinch gold in the Marathon. The 23-year-old burst past Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang around the 38km mark to leave his two rivals trailing and claim only Uganda’s second ever Olympic gold in Athletics.
In basketball the United States took gold in a thrilling and closely fought contest against Spain. Although the Americans won, it was not until the fourth quarter that they started to pull away. Despite that Spain fought until the very last second to bring the final score to 107-100.
It was a good day in boxing for Ukraine as Vasyl Lomachenko won his second Olympic Games title, defeating Korea’s Soonchul Han in the men’s Light Weight final. And in wrestling Japan won their first men’s gold in 24 years after Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu defeated India’s Sushil Kumar.
Russia became the first team in the history of men’s Olympic Volleyball to win the final from two sets down as they stunned Brazil 3-2 at Earls Court this afternoon.
Meanwhile Lithuania’s Laura Asadauskaite claimed the final gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games with victory in the women’s Modern Pentathlon competition.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
- 5France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
Kenyan athletes continue protest at federation HQ
World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
Wires > News
- 03:24 CET Pound promises ‘wow factor’ in part two of WADA report
- 03:04 CET Clarke in no hurry to pick Ryder Cup vice-captains
- 01:58 CET Coe under fire for support of Eugene world championships
- 01:19 CET Atletico’s Simeone mulls Galatasaray attacking threat
- 00:34 CET Chelsea repeat drubbing of Maccabi to close in on last 16
- 00:07 CET Sanchez epitomises Arsenal’s never-say-die attitude
- 23:44 CET Ten-man Bayern crush Olympiakos to book knockout place
- 23:43 CET Sanchez double helps keep Arsenal’s hopes alive