Now Reading:

Quake rescue operations end in Iran

world news

Quake rescue operations end in Iran


Survivors of Saturday’s two massive earthquakes in northwest Iran are struggling to cope amongst the widespread devastation.
At least 300 people are now reported dead with over five thousand more injured.

Although many of the 100 or so villages either damaged or destroyed have been difficult to reach, Iranian officials said on Sunday rescue operations had ended.

The worst damage and most casualties appeared to have been in villages around the towns of Ahar, Varzaghan and Harees, near Tabriz,

Hospitals in the region were overwhelmed by the thousands of victims needing treatment. Most had been brought in by their families indicating a shortage of ambulances.

With the area still unstable due to scores of aftershocks thousands have been forced to sleep outside in the open air or makeshift tents.

With no electricity, water or food , the delivery of aid to those in desperate need is said to be painfully slow.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article