The London Olympics have been hailed as a great success by many of the athletes and fans who took part. But when it comes to the medals tally, some countries have clearly been more successful than others.
The USA, relegated to second in the final medal table by China in Beijing 2008, has won its first place back despite winning six fewer medals than four years ago.
The ‘most improved’ country in the medal table this year is the host delegation. Great Britain and Northern Ireland (essentially the United Kingdom but known during the Games as ‘Team GB’) picked up 18 more medals in total, with 65 medals compared to 47 in 2008. Its gold medal haul increased from 19 to 29. This comes as little surprise given that countries almost always performs better when they host the Games.
The next most improved country in the final medal count was Japan, whose tally of 38 is 13 more than in Beijing. Japan’s swimmers (11 medals) and its wrestlers (six medals including four Golds) made the difference this time round. As usual the Japanese also had success in Judo (seven medals).
In bronze position in the ‘most improved’ nation is Iran. Having won only two medals in Beijing, Iran’s athletes picked up 12 in London to record the country’s biggest ever collection of Gold, Silver and Bronze.
If hosting the Olympics helps a country win more medals, then that was always going to be bad news for China. Dominant at home in Beijing in 2008, China picked up 13 fewer medals this time round and lost first place in the final table.
Australia, traditionally a centre of sporting excellence, also endured something of a collective disappointment. A total of 35 medals (seven Golds), while still impressive for a country of 23 million people, is 11 fewer than in Beijing. ‘Just’ 10 medals in the swimming pool halves 2008’s swimming total and might cause some Australians to start thinking about reviewing its famously efficient sporting system.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 3Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 4‘The Corner’ an Italian hero, zero, hero and woe in Warsaw for Germany
- 5UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 09:48 CET Carter, Sonny Bill named in All Blacks tour squad
- 04:17 CET Barca need to avoid Clasico obsession, focus on Ajax
- 04:13 CET Schalke need Di Matteo’s touch against Sporting
- 04:10 CET Real seek first win over Liverpool, Totti eyes more goals
- 04:05 CET Totti’s Roma take aim at Bayern’s impregnable defence
- 03:33 CET Martin posts first PGA Tour victory in Las Vegas
- 02:29 CET Australia players given amnesty ‘window’ to report graft
- 02:09 CET Watson named in Australia’s T20 squad for South Africa