12/08/12 10:50 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
More than 20 people have been arrested after violence erupted and two people died near the Mumbai sports ground Azad Maidan during protests organised by a Muslim organisation.
At least 55 people, including police, were injured on Saturday as clashes took place during the rally.
The initial event had been organised to denounce ethnic disturbances in India’s northeastern Assam state, and to draw attention to alleged attacks on the Muslim minority in neighbouring Myanmar.
In an attempt to diffuse the situation, Muslim political leader Abu Azmi said: “I want to appeal to people, especially the Muslim community, that they don’t have to do anything. They have to maintain peace and let the law take its course.”
Tensions have been growing between Assam’s indegenous Bodo tribes, who are largely Hindu and Christian, and Muslim immigrants coming from Bangladesh.
At least 77 people have died in recent violence there, according to India’s Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Iraq: Progress in fight to oust ISIL from Falluja but ‘civilians face starvation’
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
France holds international commemorations to mark the centenary of the Battle of Verdun
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Wires > News
- 22:03 CET U.N. envoy tells Security Council no Syria talks for 2-3 weeks
- 21:38 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 21:37 CET Chile’s students clash with police as protests intensify
- 20:56 CET Protester, police officer killed in Congo election protest – U.N.
- 20:26 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants