12/08/12 10:50 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
More than 20 people have been arrested after violence erupted and two people died near the Mumbai sports ground Azad Maidan during protests organised by a Muslim organisation.
At least 55 people, including police, were injured on Saturday as clashes took place during the rally.
The initial event had been organised to denounce ethnic disturbances in India’s northeastern Assam state, and to draw attention to alleged attacks on the Muslim minority in neighbouring Myanmar.
In an attempt to diffuse the situation, Muslim political leader Abu Azmi said: “I want to appeal to people, especially the Muslim community, that they don’t have to do anything. They have to maintain peace and let the law take its course.”
Tensions have been growing between Assam’s indegenous Bodo tribes, who are largely Hindu and Christian, and Muslim immigrants coming from Bangladesh.
At least 77 people have died in recent violence there, according to India’s Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 4Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…