On day 14 of the London Olympics, Team GB had to settle for silver in the postponed men’s two-hander, 470 sailing class – after Australia pipped them to the gold.
Overall leaders Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page edged a tight contest with their British challengers Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell, who were lagging just behind going into the title decider.
In London’s Hyde Park, Tunisian swimmer Oussama Mellouli scooped gold in the 10 kilometre marathon.
The 28-year-old shrugged off a recent bout of illness to become the first person to win Olympic swimming titles in the pool and open water.
Germany’s Thomas Lurz clinched the silver medal, while Richard Weinberger of Canada took the bronze.
On the track, America smashed a 27-year-old world record, with a win in the women’s 4×100 metre relay. The US stormed home with a time of 40.82 seconds.
The Bahamas secured their first gold of the Games in the 4×400 metre men’s relay final. They edged out favourites the United States, with a time of 2 minutes, 56.72 seconds.
In other Olympic stadium action, Ethiopia’s Meseret Defar clinched gold in the women’s 5000 metres.
She overtook compatriot and 10,000 gold medallist Tirunesh Dibaba in the home straight, to get across the finish line first, in a time of 15 minutes, 4.25 seconds. Kenya’s Vivian Cheruiyot took the silver and Dibaba came in third.
Asli Cakir Alptekin led a Turkish 1-2 to win the women’s Olympic 1,500 metres gold. Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain was third.
Meanwhile, for Kenyan athlete David Rudisha, his impressive victory in the 800 metres on Thursday is still sinking in. He has been speaking to reporters about his world record-breaking performance.
“It was just like I was dreaming all night. I couldn’t believe what I did yesterday,” he said.
Rudisha’s win came shortly before Usain Bolt stormed home to win the 200 metres, sealing an Olympic sprint double.
So, next, what about an ultimate Rudisha-Bolt showdown? Rudisha said he is up for it.
“Usain Bolt is a one hundred, two hundred metre speciality, and I’m special in eight hundred metres, so meeting in the mid-point I think will be something interesting, and many people have been talking about this. I would be happy. It would be good for fun,” Rudisha said.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 09:41 CET Hughes’ bat, jerseys head to Mount Everest
- 06:24 CET Newly elected Indonesia FA chief vows to fight back
- 06:19 CET Phelps, Lochte score wins at Mesa
- 02:13 CET Olympic course designer hopes golf wins in Rio Games
- 21:59 CET Burnley down but not out yet, says Dyche
- 21:29 CET Reading keeper’s error sees Arsenal reach FA Cup final
- 21:01 CET Marquez on pole in Argentina by hefty margin
- 20:49 CET Real’s Bale substituted with suspected calf injury