On day 14 of the London Olympics, Team GB had to settle for silver in the postponed men’s two-hander, 470 sailing class – after Australia pipped them to the gold.
Overall leaders Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page edged a tight contest with their British challengers Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell, who were lagging just behind going into the title decider.
In London’s Hyde Park, Tunisian swimmer Oussama Mellouli scooped gold in the 10 kilometre marathon.
The 28-year-old shrugged off a recent bout of illness to become the first person to win Olympic swimming titles in the pool and open water.
Germany’s Thomas Lurz clinched the silver medal, while Richard Weinberger of Canada took the bronze.
On the track, America smashed a 27-year-old world record, with a win in the women’s 4×100 metre relay. The US stormed home with a time of 40.82 seconds.
The Bahamas secured their first gold of the Games in the 4×400 metre men’s relay final. They edged out favourites the United States, with a time of 2 minutes, 56.72 seconds.
In other Olympic stadium action, Ethiopia’s Meseret Defar clinched gold in the women’s 5000 metres.
She overtook compatriot and 10,000 gold medallist Tirunesh Dibaba in the home straight, to get across the finish line first, in a time of 15 minutes, 4.25 seconds. Kenya’s Vivian Cheruiyot took the silver and Dibaba came in third.
Asli Cakir Alptekin led a Turkish 1-2 to win the women’s Olympic 1,500 metres gold. Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain was third.
Meanwhile, for Kenyan athlete David Rudisha, his impressive victory in the 800 metres on Thursday is still sinking in. He has been speaking to reporters about his world record-breaking performance.
“It was just like I was dreaming all night. I couldn’t believe what I did yesterday,” he said.
Rudisha’s win came shortly before Usain Bolt stormed home to win the 200 metres, sealing an Olympic sprint double.
So, next, what about an ultimate Rudisha-Bolt showdown? Rudisha said he is up for it.
“Usain Bolt is a one hundred, two hundred metre speciality, and I’m special in eight hundred metres, so meeting in the mid-point I think will be something interesting, and many people have been talking about this. I would be happy. It would be good for fun,” Rudisha said.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
- 5Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Wires > Sport
- 18:17 CET Real’s Bale and Ronaldo score in Eibar defeat
- 18:05 CET Aubameyang strikes twice as Dortmund crush Stuttgart
- 14:56 CET Costa dropped but Chelsea still toothless in Spurs draw
- 14:31 CET F1 tightens cooperation rules, clears Ferrari – Haas
- 13:06 CET Gignac goal secures Mexican last-four berth for Tigres
- 13:05 CET West Indian spinner Narine suspended for illegal action
- 12:24 CET M’Baye Niang double worth the wait for Milan
- 10:49 CET It’s not me that needs to change, Hamilton tells Dennis