On day 14 of the London Olympics, Team GB had to settle for silver in the postponed men’s two-hander, 470 sailing class – after Australia pipped them to the gold.
Overall leaders Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page edged a tight contest with their British challengers Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell, who were lagging just behind going into the title decider.
In London’s Hyde Park, Tunisian swimmer Oussama Mellouli scooped gold in the 10 kilometre marathon.
The 28-year-old shrugged off a recent bout of illness to become the first person to win Olympic swimming titles in the pool and open water.
Germany’s Thomas Lurz clinched the silver medal, while Richard Weinberger of Canada took the bronze.
On the track, America smashed a 27-year-old world record, with a win in the women’s 4×100 metre relay. The US stormed home with a time of 40.82 seconds.
The Bahamas secured their first gold of the Games in the 4×400 metre men’s relay final. They edged out favourites the United States, with a time of 2 minutes, 56.72 seconds.
In other Olympic stadium action, Ethiopia’s Meseret Defar clinched gold in the women’s 5000 metres.
She overtook compatriot and 10,000 gold medallist Tirunesh Dibaba in the home straight, to get across the finish line first, in a time of 15 minutes, 4.25 seconds. Kenya’s Vivian Cheruiyot took the silver and Dibaba came in third.
Asli Cakir Alptekin led a Turkish 1-2 to win the women’s Olympic 1,500 metres gold. Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain was third.
Meanwhile, for Kenyan athlete David Rudisha, his impressive victory in the 800 metres on Thursday is still sinking in. He has been speaking to reporters about his world record-breaking performance.
“It was just like I was dreaming all night. I couldn’t believe what I did yesterday,” he said.
Rudisha’s win came shortly before Usain Bolt stormed home to win the 200 metres, sealing an Olympic sprint double.
So, next, what about an ultimate Rudisha-Bolt showdown? Rudisha said he is up for it.
“Usain Bolt is a one hundred, two hundred metre speciality, and I’m special in eight hundred metres, so meeting in the mid-point I think will be something interesting, and many people have been talking about this. I would be happy. It would be good for fun,” Rudisha said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 3Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 4Michel Platini’s plans for football rule changes get the euronews once-over
- 5Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 10Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 11Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 19:34 CET Doha to stage Italian Supercup
- 19:31 CET Benfica’s Jesus questions coach of the year shortlist
- 19:28 CET Eto’o can help Lukaku bloom, says Everton hero Latchford
- 19:25 CET Nigeria set to avoid FIFA suspension after court case is dropped
- 19:21 CET Saints boss happy with fixture glut
- 19:16 CET Murray qualifies for Tour Finals with Dimitrov win
- 18:25 CET Celtic winger Tonev banned for seven matches for racial abuse
- 17:53 CET Slumping Wawrinka refuses to press the panic button