On day 14 of the London Olympics, Team GB had to settle for silver in the postponed men’s two-hander, 470 sailing class – after Australia pipped them to the gold.
Overall leaders Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page edged a tight contest with their British challengers Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell, who were lagging just behind going into the title decider.
In London’s Hyde Park, Tunisian swimmer Oussama Mellouli scooped gold in the 10 kilometre marathon.
The 28-year-old shrugged off a recent bout of illness to become the first person to win Olympic swimming titles in the pool and open water.
Germany’s Thomas Lurz clinched the silver medal, while Richard Weinberger of Canada took the bronze.
On the track, America smashed a 27-year-old world record, with a win in the women’s 4×100 metre relay. The US stormed home with a time of 40.82 seconds.
The Bahamas secured their first gold of the Games in the 4×400 metre men’s relay final. They edged out favourites the United States, with a time of 2 minutes, 56.72 seconds.
In other Olympic stadium action, Ethiopia’s Meseret Defar clinched gold in the women’s 5000 metres.
She overtook compatriot and 10,000 gold medallist Tirunesh Dibaba in the home straight, to get across the finish line first, in a time of 15 minutes, 4.25 seconds. Kenya’s Vivian Cheruiyot took the silver and Dibaba came in third.
Asli Cakir Alptekin led a Turkish 1-2 to win the women’s Olympic 1,500 metres gold. Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain was third.
Meanwhile, for Kenyan athlete David Rudisha, his impressive victory in the 800 metres on Thursday is still sinking in. He has been speaking to reporters about his world record-breaking performance.
“It was just like I was dreaming all night. I couldn’t believe what I did yesterday,” he said.
Rudisha’s win came shortly before Usain Bolt stormed home to win the 200 metres, sealing an Olympic sprint double.
So, next, what about an ultimate Rudisha-Bolt showdown? Rudisha said he is up for it.
“Usain Bolt is a one hundred, two hundred metre speciality, and I’m special in eight hundred metres, so meeting in the mid-point I think will be something interesting, and many people have been talking about this. I would be happy. It would be good for fun,” Rudisha said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 11Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 19:18 CET Spain coach Orenga steps down after World Cup flop
- 17:52 CET Hamburg sack coach Slomka after poor start
- 17:48 CET Judge Eckert warns FIFA following Garcia investigation
- 17:28 CET Bayern’s Ribery out against City, Robben doubtful
- 17:25 CET R&A set to allow women members after 260 years
- 17:22 CET Norway’s Northug faces lifetime driving ban
- 17:09 CET Zidane could be interested in France coaching job
- 16:11 CET Chelsea must avoid Europa League, says Mourinho