On day 14 of the London Olympics, Team GB had to settle for silver in the postponed men’s two-hander, 470 sailing class – after Australia pipped them to the gold.
Overall leaders Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page edged a tight contest with their British challengers Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell, who were lagging just behind going into the title decider.
In London’s Hyde Park, Tunisian swimmer Oussama Mellouli scooped gold in the 10 kilometre marathon.
The 28-year-old shrugged off a recent bout of illness to become the first person to win Olympic swimming titles in the pool and open water.
Germany’s Thomas Lurz clinched the silver medal, while Richard Weinberger of Canada took the bronze.
On the track, America smashed a 27-year-old world record, with a win in the women’s 4×100 metre relay. The US stormed home with a time of 40.82 seconds.
The Bahamas secured their first gold of the Games in the 4×400 metre men’s relay final. They edged out favourites the United States, with a time of 2 minutes, 56.72 seconds.
In other Olympic stadium action, Ethiopia’s Meseret Defar clinched gold in the women’s 5000 metres.
She overtook compatriot and 10,000 gold medallist Tirunesh Dibaba in the home straight, to get across the finish line first, in a time of 15 minutes, 4.25 seconds. Kenya’s Vivian Cheruiyot took the silver and Dibaba came in third.
Asli Cakir Alptekin led a Turkish 1-2 to win the women’s Olympic 1,500 metres gold. Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain was third.
Meanwhile, for Kenyan athlete David Rudisha, his impressive victory in the 800 metres on Thursday is still sinking in. He has been speaking to reporters about his world record-breaking performance.
“It was just like I was dreaming all night. I couldn’t believe what I did yesterday,” he said.
Rudisha’s win came shortly before Usain Bolt stormed home to win the 200 metres, sealing an Olympic sprint double.
So, next, what about an ultimate Rudisha-Bolt showdown? Rudisha said he is up for it.
“Usain Bolt is a one hundred, two hundred metre speciality, and I’m special in eight hundred metres, so meeting in the mid-point I think will be something interesting, and many people have been talking about this. I would be happy. It would be good for fun,” Rudisha said.
- 1Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 2Red Bull Air Race: Arch wins in Budapest
- 3Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 4Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 5Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
Red Bull Air Race: Arch wins in Budapest
Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
Rohan Dennis record breaking Lycra lad wins Tour de France Grand Depart
Wires > Sport
- 08:27 CET Sri Lanka drop Herath, Kaushal from ODI squad v Pakistan
- 08:18 CET Micronesia hammered again as Vanuatu win 46-0
- 07:06 CET Ghana skipper Gyan to leave Al Ain for China – report
- 06:26 CET Kyrgios slams ‘racist’ Olympic great Fraser
- 05:09 CET Dimitrov splits with coach Rasheed
- 02:59 CET Mayweather stripped of title he won in Pacquiao fight
- 22:38 CET Fury to meet world champion Klitschko in October
- 22:09 CET Barca agree to sign playmaker Arda from Atletico