On day 14 of the London Olympics, Team GB had to settle for silver in the postponed men’s two-hander, 470 sailing class – after Australia pipped them to the gold.
Overall leaders Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page edged a tight contest with their British challengers Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell, who were lagging just behind going into the title decider.
In London’s Hyde Park, Tunisian swimmer Oussama Mellouli scooped gold in the 10 kilometre marathon.
The 28-year-old shrugged off a recent bout of illness to become the first person to win Olympic swimming titles in the pool and open water.
Germany’s Thomas Lurz clinched the silver medal, while Richard Weinberger of Canada took the bronze.
On the track, America smashed a 27-year-old world record, with a win in the women’s 4×100 metre relay. The US stormed home with a time of 40.82 seconds.
The Bahamas secured their first gold of the Games in the 4×400 metre men’s relay final. They edged out favourites the United States, with a time of 2 minutes, 56.72 seconds.
In other Olympic stadium action, Ethiopia’s Meseret Defar clinched gold in the women’s 5000 metres.
She overtook compatriot and 10,000 gold medallist Tirunesh Dibaba in the home straight, to get across the finish line first, in a time of 15 minutes, 4.25 seconds. Kenya’s Vivian Cheruiyot took the silver and Dibaba came in third.
Asli Cakir Alptekin led a Turkish 1-2 to win the women’s Olympic 1,500 metres gold. Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain was third.
Meanwhile, for Kenyan athlete David Rudisha, his impressive victory in the 800 metres on Thursday is still sinking in. He has been speaking to reporters about his world record-breaking performance.
“It was just like I was dreaming all night. I couldn’t believe what I did yesterday,” he said.
Rudisha’s win came shortly before Usain Bolt stormed home to win the 200 metres, sealing an Olympic sprint double.
So, next, what about an ultimate Rudisha-Bolt showdown? Rudisha said he is up for it.
“Usain Bolt is a one hundred, two hundred metre speciality, and I’m special in eight hundred metres, so meeting in the mid-point I think will be something interesting, and many people have been talking about this. I would be happy. It would be good for fun,” Rudisha said.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 5Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 6European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 7Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 8McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 9Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 10NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 14Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 20Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:11 CET Billionaire Hopp gets green light to take over Hoffenheim
- 13:46 CET England lock Launchbury to undergo neck surgery
- 13:01 CET Djokovic and Williams take ITF annual honours
- 12:46 CET British anti-doping body signs agreement with Crime Agency
- 12:30 CET Newcastle suffer keeper crisis, consider emergency loan
- 12:07 CET Everton boss Martinez wary of slumping Southampton
- 11:52 CET Amla closes on double-ton as South Africa build huge total
- 11:43 CET Workhorse Mascherano enjoying fruits of labour