On day 14 of the London Olympics, Team GB had to settle for silver in the postponed men’s two-hander, 470 sailing class – after Australia pipped them to the gold.
Overall leaders Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page edged a tight contest with their British challengers Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell, who were lagging just behind going into the title decider.
In London’s Hyde Park, Tunisian swimmer Oussama Mellouli scooped gold in the 10 kilometre marathon.
The 28-year-old shrugged off a recent bout of illness to become the first person to win Olympic swimming titles in the pool and open water.
Germany’s Thomas Lurz clinched the silver medal, while Richard Weinberger of Canada took the bronze.
On the track, America smashed a 27-year-old world record, with a win in the women’s 4×100 metre relay. The US stormed home with a time of 40.82 seconds.
The Bahamas secured their first gold of the Games in the 4×400 metre men’s relay final. They edged out favourites the United States, with a time of 2 minutes, 56.72 seconds.
In other Olympic stadium action, Ethiopia’s Meseret Defar clinched gold in the women’s 5000 metres.
She overtook compatriot and 10,000 gold medallist Tirunesh Dibaba in the home straight, to get across the finish line first, in a time of 15 minutes, 4.25 seconds. Kenya’s Vivian Cheruiyot took the silver and Dibaba came in third.
Asli Cakir Alptekin led a Turkish 1-2 to win the women’s Olympic 1,500 metres gold. Maryam Yusuf Jamal of Bahrain was third.
Meanwhile, for Kenyan athlete David Rudisha, his impressive victory in the 800 metres on Thursday is still sinking in. He has been speaking to reporters about his world record-breaking performance.
“It was just like I was dreaming all night. I couldn’t believe what I did yesterday,” he said.
Rudisha’s win came shortly before Usain Bolt stormed home to win the 200 metres, sealing an Olympic sprint double.
So, next, what about an ultimate Rudisha-Bolt showdown? Rudisha said he is up for it.
“Usain Bolt is a one hundred, two hundred metre speciality, and I’m special in eight hundred metres, so meeting in the mid-point I think will be something interesting, and many people have been talking about this. I would be happy. It would be good for fun,” Rudisha said.
- 1World Athletics investigating claims of historic state-backed doping in China
- 2France and Italy kick-start up Six Nations in Paris
- 3FIFA presidential elections: CAF to give full backing to Sheikh Salman
- 4Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 5American duo Cartica and Pizzi win 2016 World Marathon Challenge
- 1European Handball Championships: Germany to face Spain in final
- 2‘‘I was born to race’‘ – 15-time motorcycle world champion Giacomo Agostini
- 3Formula One: Renault present car and team for 2016
- 4Guardiola signs three-year contract to manage Manchester City
- 5Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
France and Italy kick-start up Six Nations in Paris
Nizzolo takes Dubai Tour lead as Lobato wins stage three
FIFA presidential elections: CAF to give full backing to Sheikh Salman
World Athletics investigating claims of historic state-backed doping in China
NBA champions meet President Obama
Wires > Sport
- 03:23 CET McEvoy sets scorching pace, Magnussen promises improvement
- 03:00 CET Multi-tasking no problem for Man City-bound Guardiola
- 00:35 CET Goodell dangles expansion carrot to London
- 22:30 CET Jailed Uruguayan reaches plea bargain in FIFA case
- 22:03 CET Man City set to field young team in FA Cup tie at Chelsea
- 21:56 CET Liverpool fans plan walkout over ticket prices
- 20:57 CET Belated gold would be hollow for Ireland’s O’Sullivan
- 19:21 CET African confederation backs Salman for FIFA job