Dozens of people have been killed after a bus crashed in India’s mountainous Himachal Pradesh state.
The accident, which happened close to nine o’clock in the morning local time, saw the vehicle plunge into a gorge more than 100 metres deep.
It is believed at least 17 people were injured.
Sunil Chaudhury, administrator of Himachal Pradesh’s Chamba district, where the bus crashed, told reporters all victims’ bodies have been recovered.
Although an investigation into the cause of the crash has been started, Chaudhury also said the bus appeared to have been overloaded.
National figures show more than 110,000 people die in road accidents each year, making India the country with the largest number of road fatalities
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
U.S. military repeals ban on trangender service members
Boris backs out – Gove goes for it – May may have it as race for number 10 gets underway
Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
UK: who are the Famous Five?
Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
Wires > News
- 20:00 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead
- 19:43 CET Rosetta spacecraft to give ‘final kiss’ to comet on crash-landing
- 19:39 CET French cardinal suspends four paedophile priests
- 19:23 CET France’s employers join hostile unions to slam labour law reform
- 19:19 CET U.N. rights council creates role of expert to protect LGBT people
- 19:17 CET U.N. peacekeeping mission leaves Liberia after 13 years
- 19:16 CET Fire in Kuwait villa kills nine people
- 19:15 CET Violence, settlements, Gaza undermine hope for Mideast peace – U.N.