Echoing a similar situation as the one two years ago, the removal of Roma from French makeshift camps has drawn criticism from the EU.
Dozens have been repatriated to Romania.
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy was accused of pandering to the right and flouting EU law when he did the same in 2010. EU justice Commissioner Vivian Reding described it as “a disgrace” at the time.
Thursday’s eviction of 200 Roma living in mobile homes near a Lille motorway, follows a week where undocumented Roma were forced from their homes in Paris and Lyon.
Interior Minister Manuel Valls defended the actions, saying “unsanitary camps are unacceptable” but that the government would look at granting more Romanians the right to work in France.
During his election campaign, French president Francois Hollande declared that while the camps would still be dismantled, “alternative arrangements would be offered.”
Up to 20,000 Roma live in France.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 09:33 CET South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew, stowage as rescue…
- 09:03 CET At least nine Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide
- 07:57 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer