11/08/12 11:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Echoing a similar situation as the one two years ago, the removal of Roma from French makeshift camps has drawn criticism from the EU.
Dozens have been repatriated to Romania.
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy was accused of pandering to the right and flouting EU law when he did the same in 2010. EU justice Commissioner Vivian Reding described it as “a disgrace” at the time.
Thursday’s eviction of 200 Roma living in mobile homes near a Lille motorway, follows a week where undocumented Roma were forced from their homes in Paris and Lyon.
Interior Minister Manuel Valls defended the actions, saying “unsanitary camps are unacceptable” but that the government would look at granting more Romanians the right to work in France.
During his election campaign, French president Francois Hollande declared that while the camps would still be dismantled, “alternative arrangements would be offered.”
Up to 20,000 Roma live in France.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 17:54 CET Florence fines Uffizi Gallery director for ticket tout warning
- 17:03 CET Five jailed for life in Uganda for al Shabaab World Cup bombings
- 16:52 CET Thai queen undergoes medical tests, palace says in rare statement
- 16:46 CET Freed by Russia, Ukraine’s ‘Joan of Arc’ may prove thorn in own…
- 16:34 CET Europe steps up North Korea sanctions with oil, finance bans
- 16:24 CET Russia says U.S. ‘delays’ with joint Syria action may hit peace…
- 16:20 CET South Africa to review spending on luxury vehicles for Zuma’s wives
- 16:06 CET Syrian president denies media report of new Russian-drafted…