The Oscar-winning special effects artist best known for creating the extra-terrestrial character in E.T. has died in his native Italy, aged 86.
Carlo Rambaldi also won acclaim for his work in the 1970s films King Kong and Alien.
He mastered a discipline known as mechatronics -combining mechanical, electronic and system design engineering.
E.T.‘s director Steven Spielberg said those who had marvelled at his craft and artistry were deeply saddened.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 21:00 CET How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:34 CET Avalanche kills 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount Everest
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court