The Oscar-winning special effects artist best known for creating the extra-terrestrial character in E.T. has died in his native Italy, aged 86.
Carlo Rambaldi also won acclaim for his work in the 1970s films King Kong and Alien.
He mastered a discipline known as mechatronics -combining mechanical, electronic and system design engineering.
E.T.‘s director Steven Spielberg said those who had marvelled at his craft and artistry were deeply saddened.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 10:14 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men for terrorism financing
- 09:32 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 09:26 CET G7 vows growth efforts as Japan’s Abe warns of global ‘crisis’
- 09:11 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 08:43 CET Insight – How a 26-year-old Ukrainian took on Odessa’s customs…
- 08:39 CET Australian TV station sacks producer over Lebanon child recovery…
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties