The Oscar-winning special effects artist best known for creating the extra-terrestrial character in E.T. has died in his native Italy, aged 86.
Carlo Rambaldi also won acclaim for his work in the 1970s films King Kong and Alien.
He mastered a discipline known as mechatronics -combining mechanical, electronic and system design engineering.
E.T.‘s director Steven Spielberg said those who had marvelled at his craft and artistry were deeply saddened.
- 1Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 2Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Latest world news
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Wires > News
- 16:59 CET Donald Trump says Republican race all but over if he wins Indiana
- 16:04 CET Foreign minister reaffirms Japan’s economic ties to Thailand
- 15:43 CET Austrian chancellor booed at party rally after election drubbing
- 15:33 CET Russia says talks to extend Syrian lull in fighting to Aleppo
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…