The UN’s Food Agency has stepped up pressure on the United States to change its biofuel policy due to fear over a World Food Crisis.
40 percent of the US corn crop is currently used for biofuel to meet renewable energy targets.
The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) says the US should prioritise growing crops for food rather than for fuel as the US mid-West is facing its worst drought in over half a century.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has slashed its estimates for the size of the corn crop by more than expected, sending corn futures prices to an all-time high. This follows years of accusations that biofuels drive up the price of corn oils , and the grain needed to produce them to the detriment of global food security.
Since January the price of corn has risen by 19.5 percent, wheat prices have risen by 25.8 percent and rice by 7.7 percent.
The global shortage of these commodities has been caused partly by drought and extreme heat in some parts of the world. While crops elsewhere as in parts of Asia have been wiped out due to severe flooding.
These cereals are also used to feed livestock so this also has a knock-on effect for the price of meat. For every kilogram of beef produced you need around seven kilograms of animal food. 36% of the worldwide grain harvest is used for animal food in developed Western countries.
After the financial crisis, investors found security in raw materials that was lacking in financial products. Trade in agricultural markets has increased as well and speculators have profited by buying and selling large quantities of these goods.
No measures were taken at last summer’s G20 meeting, despite complaints by the former French President, Nicolas Sarkozy:
“Who can accept, while there is not enough to feed the planet and the evolution of the planet, that financiers are exchanging 46 times the physical volume of world wheat market?” He said.
On Sunday August 12 on the last day of the Olympic games, British Prime Minister, David Cameron, has scheduled a conference on hunger in London. But will this make any difference on to how we produce and distribute food in the future?
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 21:33 CET Cecil the lion case charts new territory for U.S. wildlife law
- 21:19 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 20:06 CET Tanzanian opposition coalition nominates former PM for presidency
- 20:01 CET Pledge to accept sparks protest in Latvia
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…