The UN’s Food Agency has stepped up pressure on the United States to change its biofuel policy due to fear over a World Food Crisis.
40 percent of the US corn crop is currently used for biofuel to meet renewable energy targets.
The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) says the US should prioritise growing crops for food rather than for fuel as the US mid-West is facing its worst drought in over half a century.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has slashed its estimates for the size of the corn crop by more than expected, sending corn futures prices to an all-time high. This follows years of accusations that biofuels drive up the price of corn oils , and the grain needed to produce them to the detriment of global food security.
Since January the price of corn has risen by 19.5 percent, wheat prices have risen by 25.8 percent and rice by 7.7 percent.
The global shortage of these commodities has been caused partly by drought and extreme heat in some parts of the world. While crops elsewhere as in parts of Asia have been wiped out due to severe flooding.
These cereals are also used to feed livestock so this also has a knock-on effect for the price of meat. For every kilogram of beef produced you need around seven kilograms of animal food. 36% of the worldwide grain harvest is used for animal food in developed Western countries.
After the financial crisis, investors found security in raw materials that was lacking in financial products. Trade in agricultural markets has increased as well and speculators have profited by buying and selling large quantities of these goods.
No measures were taken at last summer’s G20 meeting, despite complaints by the former French President, Nicolas Sarkozy:
“Who can accept, while there is not enough to feed the planet and the evolution of the planet, that financiers are exchanging 46 times the physical volume of world wheat market?” He said.
On Sunday August 12 on the last day of the Olympic games, British Prime Minister, David Cameron, has scheduled a conference on hunger in London. But will this make any difference on to how we produce and distribute food in the future?
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
- 3Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 4Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 5‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola