The UN’s Food Agency has stepped up pressure on the United States to change its biofuel policy due to fear over a World Food Crisis.
40 percent of the US corn crop is currently used for biofuel to meet renewable energy targets.
The Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) says the US should prioritise growing crops for food rather than for fuel as the US mid-West is facing its worst drought in over half a century.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has slashed its estimates for the size of the corn crop by more than expected, sending corn futures prices to an all-time high. This follows years of accusations that biofuels drive up the price of corn oils , and the grain needed to produce them to the detriment of global food security.
Since January the price of corn has risen by 19.5 percent, wheat prices have risen by 25.8 percent and rice by 7.7 percent.
The global shortage of these commodities has been caused partly by drought and extreme heat in some parts of the world. While crops elsewhere as in parts of Asia have been wiped out due to severe flooding.
These cereals are also used to feed livestock so this also has a knock-on effect for the price of meat. For every kilogram of beef produced you need around seven kilograms of animal food. 36% of the worldwide grain harvest is used for animal food in developed Western countries.
After the financial crisis, investors found security in raw materials that was lacking in financial products. Trade in agricultural markets has increased as well and speculators have profited by buying and selling large quantities of these goods.
No measures were taken at last summer’s G20 meeting, despite complaints by the former French President, Nicolas Sarkozy:
“Who can accept, while there is not enough to feed the planet and the evolution of the planet, that financiers are exchanging 46 times the physical volume of world wheat market?” He said.
On Sunday August 12 on the last day of the Olympic games, British Prime Minister, David Cameron, has scheduled a conference on hunger in London. But will this make any difference on to how we produce and distribute food in the future?
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Netanyahu warns US Congress against Iran nuclear deal
- 2Artists hints at Monica Lewinsky scandal in Bill Clinton portrait
- 3Moscow funeral: “The shots were fired not only at Nemtsov but at democracy in Russia”
- 4Pro- and anti-Netanyahu protesters cry out from Capitol Hill
- 5Belgium: Pegida anti-Islam march attracts 200
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
Wires > News
- 08:58 CET Colombia detains China Cosco Shipping vessel over illegal arms
- 08:57 CET More than 30 killed in mine blast in rebel east Ukraine – local…
- 08:21 CET China says detained ship involved in ‘normal trade cooperation’
- 08:09 CET China says Hong Kong must protect mainland tourists after protests
- 07:50 CET Afghan leader orders graft review for all army supply contracts
- 07:43 CET Insight – Syria’s Nusra Front may leave Qaeda to form new entity
- 07:25 CET Documentary on 2012 Delhi gang rape banned in India
- 06:59 CET China says NGOs need regulating for national security reasons