10/08/12 08:22 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Two Spanish trade unionists have been released after spending a night in jail over a Robin Hood-style raid on supermarkets.
They face prosecution for theft and pressing one store to donate food for distribution to the needy.
They were arrested after their union, which represents rural labourers in southern Spain, organised a raid to steal cartloads of food.
“Taking some food and giving it to families who are having a really hard time, if this is stealing, I am guilty,” said one of the men, Francisco Molero of the SAT union.
Hundreds of workers are said to have been involved in the raid, which was condemned by leaders of Spain’s largest unions.
An industry association said supermarkets already made donations. However, the unionists have local backing. A left-wing mayor, José Manuel Sanchez Gordillo, faces charges after leading the raid.
“If I end up in jail because I highlighted the crisis, it will be a honour,” he said.
The mayor spent a night in an improvised camp to show solidarity with other activists.
Andalucia has been particularly devastated by the crisis since the property crash of four years ago, with a third of the population out of work.
Latest world news
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
North Korea missile test off east coast ‘fails’, says Seoul
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET Ecstasy use jumps in Europe, no longer just a dance drug: report
- 13:35 CET With the most slaves globally, India improves response to the…
- 13:33 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 13:22 CET Philippine president-elect Duterte names cabinet members
- 13:06 CET Myanmar’s Suu Kyi to lead new effort on restive Rakhine State
- 12:36 CET Turkey officially designates Gulen religious group as terrorists
- 12:33 CET Nigerian sex trafficking victim – ‘Girls do not understand the…
- 12:32 CET Migrant crisis fuels sex trafficking of Nigerian girls to Europe