Usain Bolt has successfully defended his Olympic sprint double – winning the 100m and 200m in London as he did in Beijing. The Jamaican is the first man to win both events at two consecutive Olympic games.
He was pushed hard all the way by his training partner and compatriot, Yohan Blake, although he eased up at the very end. To show the apparent ease of his victory, he then knocked out a few press-ups to show he still had plenty left in him.
Blake accepted silver, while far behind just in ahead of the rest of the field was Warren Weir who took bronze to complete a Jamaican one-two-three.
Bolt could now earn his sixth Olympic gold medal if the Jamaica team win the 4×100m relay as they did in Beijing.
Just before the much anticipated 200m final, Kenyan athlete David Rudisha whipped the 80,000 capacity crowd into a fever by setting a new world record in the 800m final.
Leading from the front throughout the race he left the rest of this year’s greatest middle-distance runners eating his dust as he set a time of 1 minute 40.91 seconds, shaving 0.10 seconds off the world record he set in 2010. Nijel Amos of Botswana was second and fellow Kenyan Timothy Kitum came third.
Great Britain’s Nicola Adams made history when she won the first ever women’s boxing Olympic gold medal. The 29-year-old Flyweight never looked threatened by her opponent, Chinese world champion Ren Cancan, and won the fight comfortably by 16 points to seven.
Katie Taylor of Ireland won the women’s Lightweight, and Claressa Shields of the USA won the Middleweight gold in front of cheering crowds which proved all the critics wrong, and showed that there is an audience for the sport.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 17:41 CET Murray ousts Ferrer in Valencia to boost London bid
- 17:33 CET Suarez included in Barca lineup for La Liga ‘Clasico’
- 16:22 CET Irish trained Adelaide wins Australia’s Cox Plate
- 14:47 CET Dane Olesen carves out three-shot lead in Perth
- 12:48 CET Caterham and Marussia to miss next races – Ecclestone
- 12:33 CET Biting is appalling but harmless, says Suarez
- 12:07 CET Romania struggling to fill national coach’s post
- 11:09 CET Marquez takes record 13th pole in Malaysia