Usain Bolt has successfully defended his Olympic sprint double – winning the 100m and 200m in London as he did in Beijing. The Jamaican is the first man to win both events at two consecutive Olympic games.
He was pushed hard all the way by his training partner and compatriot, Yohan Blake, although he eased up at the very end. To show the apparent ease of his victory, he then knocked out a few press-ups to show he still had plenty left in him.
Blake accepted silver, while far behind just in ahead of the rest of the field was Warren Weir who took bronze to complete a Jamaican one-two-three.
Bolt could now earn his sixth Olympic gold medal if the Jamaica team win the 4×100m relay as they did in Beijing.
Just before the much anticipated 200m final, Kenyan athlete David Rudisha whipped the 80,000 capacity crowd into a fever by setting a new world record in the 800m final.
Leading from the front throughout the race he left the rest of this year’s greatest middle-distance runners eating his dust as he set a time of 1 minute 40.91 seconds, shaving 0.10 seconds off the world record he set in 2010. Nijel Amos of Botswana was second and fellow Kenyan Timothy Kitum came third.
Great Britain’s Nicola Adams made history when she won the first ever women’s boxing Olympic gold medal. The 29-year-old Flyweight never looked threatened by her opponent, Chinese world champion Ren Cancan, and won the fight comfortably by 16 points to seven.
Katie Taylor of Ireland won the women’s Lightweight, and Claressa Shields of the USA won the Middleweight gold in front of cheering crowds which proved all the critics wrong, and showed that there is an audience for the sport.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
- 3Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
- 4World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
- 5Coe under renewed scrutiny over decision to award Eugene 2021 world championships
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 22:59 CET Manchester United draw to squander chance of place in last 16
- 22:58 CET Mandzukic sends Juve into last sixteen
- 22:55 CET Humiliated Blatter says only FIFA Congress can bar him
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo
- 22:44 CET Gladbach end Sevilla’s knockout stage hopes with 4-2 win
- 22:31 CET Athletics-Retired Olympic medallist Devetzi fails doping test
- 21:25 CET Man United pay tribute on anniversary of Best’s death