Usain Bolt has successfully defended his Olympic sprint double – winning the 100m and 200m in London as he did in Beijing. The Jamaican is the first man to win both events at two consecutive Olympic games.
He was pushed hard all the way by his training partner and compatriot, Yohan Blake, although he eased up at the very end. To show the apparent ease of his victory, he then knocked out a few press-ups to show he still had plenty left in him.
Blake accepted silver, while far behind just in ahead of the rest of the field was Warren Weir who took bronze to complete a Jamaican one-two-three.
Bolt could now earn his sixth Olympic gold medal if the Jamaica team win the 4×100m relay as they did in Beijing.
Just before the much anticipated 200m final, Kenyan athlete David Rudisha whipped the 80,000 capacity crowd into a fever by setting a new world record in the 800m final.
Leading from the front throughout the race he left the rest of this year’s greatest middle-distance runners eating his dust as he set a time of 1 minute 40.91 seconds, shaving 0.10 seconds off the world record he set in 2010. Nijel Amos of Botswana was second and fellow Kenyan Timothy Kitum came third.
Great Britain’s Nicola Adams made history when she won the first ever women’s boxing Olympic gold medal. The 29-year-old Flyweight never looked threatened by her opponent, Chinese world champion Ren Cancan, and won the fight comfortably by 16 points to seven.
Katie Taylor of Ireland won the women’s Lightweight, and Claressa Shields of the USA won the Middleweight gold in front of cheering crowds which proved all the critics wrong, and showed that there is an audience for the sport.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 3Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 4South African mourns three sporting heroes
- 5Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 3Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 4Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 12Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 13Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 19:40 CET Caterham F1 team have two weeks to find a buyer
- 18:34 CET Odds shorten on Chelsea emulating Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’
- 18:18 CET Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in U.S. practice
- 18:01 CET Suspect in killing of South Africa national football captain…
- 17:11 CET Zidane given coaching reprieve until ban appeal resolved
- 16:58 CET Argentina to play Portugal at Old Trafford
- 16:57 CET Jeptoo fails doping test – Athletics Kenya
- 16:33 CET Defiant Pellegrini won’t change ahead of derby