China produced yet another dominant display in London on Wednesday, completing the sweep of all four table tennis titles with an emphatic 3-0 victory over South Korea in the men’s team final.
This win sees China clinch their 24th gold medal out of a possible 28 since the sport entered the Olympic schedule in 1988.
Elsewhere, America’s Aries Merritt stormed to gold in the 110 metres hurdles, in one of the most hotly contested races of the London Olympics.
The 27-year-old crossed the finish line in an impressive time of 12.92 seconds to edge out World Champion Jason Richardson and Jamaica’s Hansle Parchment.
America’s Allyson Felix outclassed Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce to claim the women’s 200-metre final.
Felix, a silver medallist in Athens and Beijing completed the course in 21.88 seconds to secure the win, with compatriot Carmelita Jeter finishing third ahead of Veronica Campbell-Brown.
Norway’s Eirik Veras Larsen held his nerve to reclaim the Olympic title in the men’s 1,000-metre K-1 at Dorney Lake.
The 36-year-old downed favourite Adam van Koeverden of Canada who took silver to add to the gold, silver and bronze medals he held from previous Games.
Switzerland’s Steve Guerdat produced a flawless run to take gold in the men’s individual show jumping.
Dutch rider Gerco Schroder eventually had to settle for second place while Cian O’Connor completed the podium to give Ireland its first medal of the Olympics.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5[In pictures] Pre-revolutionary Russia as you may never have seen it before
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 17:59 CET Ivanovic bows out despite beating Halep at WTA Finals
- 17:47 CET Murray improves London chances with Valencia win
- 16:13 CET Williams guaranteed year-end number one ranking
- 15:45 CET Kvitova targets Fed Cup win after WTA Finals exit
- 15:31 CET Suarez to return in clasico, says Barca coach
- 14:58 CET Wallaby Beale fined but escapes ban for offensive text
- 14:53 CET Radwanska ‘owes’ Wozniacki after getting to semis
- 14:39 CET Neymar defies Dunga, backs challenger in presidential election