China produced yet another dominant display in London on Wednesday, completing the sweep of all four table tennis titles with an emphatic 3-0 victory over South Korea in the men’s team final.
This win sees China clinch their 24th gold medal out of a possible 28 since the sport entered the Olympic schedule in 1988.
Elsewhere, America’s Aries Merritt stormed to gold in the 110 metres hurdles, in one of the most hotly contested races of the London Olympics.
The 27-year-old crossed the finish line in an impressive time of 12.92 seconds to edge out World Champion Jason Richardson and Jamaica’s Hansle Parchment.
America’s Allyson Felix outclassed Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce to claim the women’s 200-metre final.
Felix, a silver medallist in Athens and Beijing completed the course in 21.88 seconds to secure the win, with compatriot Carmelita Jeter finishing third ahead of Veronica Campbell-Brown.
Norway’s Eirik Veras Larsen held his nerve to reclaim the Olympic title in the men’s 1,000-metre K-1 at Dorney Lake.
The 36-year-old downed favourite Adam van Koeverden of Canada who took silver to add to the gold, silver and bronze medals he held from previous Games.
Switzerland’s Steve Guerdat produced a flawless run to take gold in the men’s individual show jumping.
Dutch rider Gerco Schroder eventually had to settle for second place while Cian O’Connor completed the podium to give Ireland its first medal of the Olympics.
The world’s greatest goalscorer – remembering Hungary’s Ferenc Puskas
Egypt’s Elshorbagy faces Frenchman Gaultier in El Gouna final
Atlanta Hawks secure place in NBA playoffs second round
Europa League: Villarreal snatch last-minute victory against Liverpool
Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
Wires > News
- 01:04 CET Ryder Cup captains both hope Woods can make U.S. team
- 23:20 CET Middlesbrough promotion hopes dented by Birmingham draw
- 21:36 CET Chinese consortium offers 700 million euros for AC Milan – source
- 20:57 CET Attitude versus analysis in Ryder Cup camps
- 18:54 CET Andrew to step down from RFU post, Melville replaces him
- 18:34 CET Top sports tribunal to decide Platini’s fate within 10 days
- 18:19 CET FIFA ethics panel bans Bahamas’ Havens for five years
- 18:15 CET Formula One agrees cheaper power units from 2017