China produced yet another dominant display in London on Wednesday, completing the sweep of all four table tennis titles with an emphatic 3-0 victory over South Korea in the men’s team final.
This win sees China clinch their 24th gold medal out of a possible 28 since the sport entered the Olympic schedule in 1988.
Elsewhere, America’s Aries Merritt stormed to gold in the 110 metres hurdles, in one of the most hotly contested races of the London Olympics.
The 27-year-old crossed the finish line in an impressive time of 12.92 seconds to edge out World Champion Jason Richardson and Jamaica’s Hansle Parchment.
America’s Allyson Felix outclassed Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce to claim the women’s 200-metre final.
Felix, a silver medallist in Athens and Beijing completed the course in 21.88 seconds to secure the win, with compatriot Carmelita Jeter finishing third ahead of Veronica Campbell-Brown.
Norway’s Eirik Veras Larsen held his nerve to reclaim the Olympic title in the men’s 1,000-metre K-1 at Dorney Lake.
The 36-year-old downed favourite Adam van Koeverden of Canada who took silver to add to the gold, silver and bronze medals he held from previous Games.
Switzerland’s Steve Guerdat produced a flawless run to take gold in the men’s individual show jumping.
Dutch rider Gerco Schroder eventually had to settle for second place while Cian O’Connor completed the podium to give Ireland its first medal of the Olympics.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
France and Italy kick-start up Six Nations in Paris
Nizzolo takes Dubai Tour lead as Lobato wins stage three
FIFA presidential elections: CAF to give full backing to Sheikh Salman
World Athletics investigating claims of historic state-backed doping in China
NBA champions meet President Obama
Wires > News
- 00:35 CET Goodell dangles expansion carrot to London
- 22:30 CET Jailed Uruguayan reaches plea bargain in FIFA case
- 22:03 CET Man City set to field young team in FA Cup tie at Chelsea
- 21:56 CET Liverpool fans plan walkout over ticket prices
- 20:57 CET Belated gold would be hollow for Ireland’s O’Sullivan
- 19:21 CET African confederation backs Salman for FIFA job
- 19:03 CET United can still be in thick of title race – Van Gaal
- 18:41 CET Russian Vorganov fails dope test, Katusha under review