China produced yet another dominant display in London on Wednesday, completing the sweep of all four table tennis titles with an emphatic 3-0 victory over South Korea in the men’s team final.
This win sees China clinch their 24th gold medal out of a possible 28 since the sport entered the Olympic schedule in 1988.
Elsewhere, America’s Aries Merritt stormed to gold in the 110 metres hurdles, in one of the most hotly contested races of the London Olympics.
The 27-year-old crossed the finish line in an impressive time of 12.92 seconds to edge out World Champion Jason Richardson and Jamaica’s Hansle Parchment.
America’s Allyson Felix outclassed Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce to claim the women’s 200-metre final.
Felix, a silver medallist in Athens and Beijing completed the course in 21.88 seconds to secure the win, with compatriot Carmelita Jeter finishing third ahead of Veronica Campbell-Brown.
Norway’s Eirik Veras Larsen held his nerve to reclaim the Olympic title in the men’s 1,000-metre K-1 at Dorney Lake.
The 36-year-old downed favourite Adam van Koeverden of Canada who took silver to add to the gold, silver and bronze medals he held from previous Games.
Switzerland’s Steve Guerdat produced a flawless run to take gold in the men’s individual show jumping.
Dutch rider Gerco Schroder eventually had to settle for second place while Cian O’Connor completed the podium to give Ireland its first medal of the Olympics.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 20:41 CET Boxer Evans ruled out of Commonwealth Games
- 20:33 CET Stoke sign Bojan from Barcelona
- 20:07 CET Jamaica sprinter Blake out for season after surgery
- 19:43 CET Badminton player hopes to find his legs again in Glasgow
- 19:24 CET Queens Park Rangers confirm Caulker arrival from Cardiff
- 18:31 CET England’s Chambers pulls out of sprint relay squad
- 18:23 CET Dunga succeeds Scolari as Brazil manager
- 17:54 CET Volunteer helps teenage weightlifter find new trainers