China produced yet another dominant display in London on Wednesday, completing the sweep of all four table tennis titles with an emphatic 3-0 victory over South Korea in the men’s team final.
This win sees China clinch their 24th gold medal out of a possible 28 since the sport entered the Olympic schedule in 1988.
Elsewhere, America’s Aries Merritt stormed to gold in the 110 metres hurdles, in one of the most hotly contested races of the London Olympics.
The 27-year-old crossed the finish line in an impressive time of 12.92 seconds to edge out World Champion Jason Richardson and Jamaica’s Hansle Parchment.
America’s Allyson Felix outclassed Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce to claim the women’s 200-metre final.
Felix, a silver medallist in Athens and Beijing completed the course in 21.88 seconds to secure the win, with compatriot Carmelita Jeter finishing third ahead of Veronica Campbell-Brown.
Norway’s Eirik Veras Larsen held his nerve to reclaim the Olympic title in the men’s 1,000-metre K-1 at Dorney Lake.
The 36-year-old downed favourite Adam van Koeverden of Canada who took silver to add to the gold, silver and bronze medals he held from previous Games.
Switzerland’s Steve Guerdat produced a flawless run to take gold in the men’s individual show jumping.
Dutch rider Gerco Schroder eventually had to settle for second place while Cian O’Connor completed the podium to give Ireland its first medal of the Olympics.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1ISIL posts video of the beheading of second Japanese hostage Kenji Goto
- 223 dead in 24 hours in fresh attacks on eastern Ukraine
- 3Greeks like the sound of Syriza talking tough, but hope it has more than just words to offer
- 4Islamic State group ‘admits defeat’ in Kobani
- 5Kenji Goto’s mother’s grief after the news of her son’s murder
- 173-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 2Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 3No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 4Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 544 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 373-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:21 CET Koepka wins his first PGA title in Phoenix
- 23:45 CET Ghana, Ivorians through as Tunisia row bubbles on
- 22:58 CET Bony shines as Ivory Coast reach last four
- 22:57 CET New Williams is a step up, says Bottas
- 21:31 CET Lotus may not test before Tuesday
- 21:26 CET Swansea glad to see back of miserable January
- 20:59 CET Villa threw in the towel at Arsenal, says Lambert
- 20:28 CET Roma suffer another blow with Iturbe knee injury