As it enters its final few days, officials in London say the 2012 Olympics are on track to be the ‘greenest Games’ in history.
The original bid to host the 17-day event included plans to holding the most environmentally friendly tournament possible.
Organisers point to the regeneration of what was wasteland leftover from London’s industrial past, which has been transformed into the Olympic park.
David Stubbs, Head of Sustainability for the Games’ organisers LOCOG said the area had been polluted and then neglected for generations.
“This was a derelict wasteland with contaminated land, rivers full of rubbish, broken down buildings.”
The Olympic cauldron uses just 15 percent of the gas used at the Beijing Games, organisers claim.
Following the games, the site will become the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park with plans to convert even more of the land into precious London parkland.
But environmental campaigners wanted London 2012 to generate enough renewable energy to replace the amount consumed. The WWF says the games will neither be zero carbon nor zero waste.
They hope Rio, a city that has become a symbol of sustainability, will do more for the green cause in 2016 when it hosts the next Olympic Games.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 11:27 CET Balkans fear Brexit will delay EU dream
- 11:12 CET U.N. urges Sri Lanka to rein in military, prosecute war crimes
- 11:07 CET Merkel vows to strengthen EU, tells UK no ‘cherry-picking’
- 11:00 CET Grenade attack on Malaysian pub wounds eight, police rule out…
- 10:40 CET Analysis: U.S.-UK alliance seen outweighing Brexit trade concerns
- 10:14 CET No Syrian government attacks on Aleppo, Raqqa seen soon – Ifax…
- 04:09 CET Empty houses and jobless maids – Indonesia’s expat exodus gathers…
- 01:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to downgrade Myanmar in annual human trafficking…