08/08/12 22:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Russian Prime Minister Dimitry Medvedev has visited Tskhinvali, the capital of the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia, to commemorate the fourth anniversary of the five day war between Russia and Georgia.
Medvedev was president in 2008 and sent the Russian army into the region after Georgian President Mikheil Saakashivili tried to reassert control over the Moscow backed region.
Current Russian President Vladimir Putin revealed that Russia had laid contingency plans for such a conflict and even trained militiamen in the region.
The comments led Georgia to accuse the Kremlin of starting the conflict.
Georgian President Mikheil Saakashivili took part in ceremonies in Gori and Tbilisi.
The move to send Russian troops to Georgia drew international condemnation, especially from the US, which openly backed Tbilisi’s pro-Western policies.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 10:41 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires
- 10:38 CET Three Red Cross workers kidnapped in Congo by suspected rebels
- 10:05 CET Pakistan army launches inquiry into political worker’s death
- 09:53 CET Indonesia to hold new round of executions; no word on foreigners
- 09:50 CET Girl’s gang rape in Indonesia prompts angry calls for protection
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…