A day after Syrian Prime Minister Riad Hijab defected and accused President Bashar al-Assad of leading a “terrorist regime,” Syrian government forces continue their assault on the rebel-held areas of the country’s biggest city, Aleppo.
Reports indicate that the Free Syrian army is battle fatigued, outnumbered and running low on ammunition.
As the violence in Aleppo follows its bloody course fighting is taking place in other parts of Syria.
In Idlib rebels and Assad’s troops engaged in street combat.
Because of the situation in Syria it is difficult to independently verify reports coming out of the country, but it appears that all normal activity has ceased and the city is now a battleground.
Zabadani and Talbiseh are also under attack from regime-launched missiles.
It is estimated that more than 20,000 people have been killed since the uprising began in March 2011, with tens of thousands more fleeing the violence.
Neighbouring Turkey says that close to 50,000 Syrians have crossed the border and are living in temporary camps.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 2Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 3Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:16 CET Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- 02:00 CET Palestinian driver rams Jerusalem station killing baby
- 01:13 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but are divided over costs
- 00:43 CET At U.N., China asked to back human rights case against North Korea
- 00:43 CET Canada’s parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby
- 00:36 CET Chinese peacekeepers expected in South Sudan at start of 2015 -…
- 00:12 CET Scion of Pakistan’s Bhutto dynasty throws down gauntlet to PM
- 23:24 CET Juncker defends decision on French, British EU commissioners