Some like it hot – and in Serbia that means temperatures as high as 46 degrees Celsius!
Central Europe is sweltering in a summer heatwave, with Romania and Croatia also affected.
But while some embrace the extreme heat, it has been bad news for farmers as drought takes its toll.
The Greek Meteorological Service issued an extreme weather warning and authorities advised residents to watch out for symptoms of heat-stroke.
With the high temperatures expected to last until the end of the week, Greek municipalities have made air-conditioned rooms available to the public and especially for vulnerable groups such as the elderly.
Extreme heat and three months without rain have caused severe droughts and water shortages in parts of Croatia.
It is estimated between 50 and 100 percent of corn, soybeans and sugar beet, has been lost in Croatia.
In Romania there were over 6,700 calls to the ambulance service in a 24 hour period at the start of the week because of the high temperatures, with some people collapsing on the street. A total of 181 people needed medical help.
In the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia temperatures reached 43 Celsius on Tuesday with a UV index of 9.
Large parts of Italy were on alert on Tuesday as the summer’s fifth anticyclone from north Africa swept across the country, bringing with it scorching temperatures.
Italian officials warned of possible health threats in central and southern Italy where temperatures rose above 40 degrees Celsius.
The top temperature in the capital Rome was 37 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, while 44 degrees Celsius was recorded in Sicily’s Agrigento.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 4NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 5Latest News Bulletin
- 6At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 7Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 18[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 19Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 20Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
Latest world news
More stabbings and shootings as Palestinian-Israeli violence escalates
Ankara: More than 80 killed in twin blasts Turkey blames on terrorism
Twin blasts kill dozens in Turkish capital
Party in Pyongyang: North Korea celebrates 70 years of Worker’s Party
US and Russia to resume talks on air safety over Syria
Wires > News
- 16:14 CET Germany, EU deny report on European solidarity tax
- 16:10 CET Turkish editor jailed pending trial for insulting Erdogan – media
- 15:40 CET Twin bombs kill 86 at pro-Kurdish rally in Turkish capital
- 15:30 CET Protesters attack party offices in Iraq’s Kurdistan region
- 14:41 CET Russia backs bigger OSCE mission in Ukraine
- 13:55 CET Sudan’s Bashir urges rebels to resume talks, only one notable…
- 12:05 CET Nobel laureate chemist Richard Heck, 84, dies in Manila
- 11:51 CET Spain arrests 89 accused of running people-smuggling ring