Some like it hot – and in Serbia that means temperatures as high as 46 degrees Celsius!
Central Europe is sweltering in a summer heatwave, with Romania and Croatia also affected.
But while some embrace the extreme heat, it has been bad news for farmers as drought takes its toll.
The Greek Meteorological Service issued an extreme weather warning and authorities advised residents to watch out for symptoms of heat-stroke.
With the high temperatures expected to last until the end of the week, Greek municipalities have made air-conditioned rooms available to the public and especially for vulnerable groups such as the elderly.
Extreme heat and three months without rain have caused severe droughts and water shortages in parts of Croatia.
It is estimated between 50 and 100 percent of corn, soybeans and sugar beet, has been lost in Croatia.
In Romania there were over 6,700 calls to the ambulance service in a 24 hour period at the start of the week because of the high temperatures, with some people collapsing on the street. A total of 181 people needed medical help.
In the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia temperatures reached 43 Celsius on Tuesday with a UV index of 9.
Large parts of Italy were on alert on Tuesday as the summer’s fifth anticyclone from north Africa swept across the country, bringing with it scorching temperatures.
Italian officials warned of possible health threats in central and southern Italy where temperatures rose above 40 degrees Celsius.
The top temperature in the capital Rome was 37 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, while 44 degrees Celsius was recorded in Sicily’s Agrigento.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 2Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 3Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 4Artist Banksy uses pussy power to highlight Gaza devastation
- 5“Jihadi John” identified as Kuwaiti-born Briton Mohammed Emwazi
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 3Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 4New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 5Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 00:44 CET ‘Jihadi John’ from Islamic State beheading videos unmasked as…
- 22:54 CET Saudi ambassador moves to Aden from Houthi-controlled capital -…
- 22:35 CET Greek protesters clash with police in first backlash against Syriza
- 22:17 CET Russia’s Khodorkovsky: Putin is a ‘naked king’ facing economic ruin
- 20:00 CET EU-Russia-Ukraine gas talks to be held on Monday – EU
- 18:30 CET Sudan’s Bashir says will quit in 2020 if re-elected president
- 18:08 CET Le Pen woos French farm vote as malaise deepens
- 17:48 CET Swiss right-wing party enlists magazine chief as candidate