Some like it hot – and in Serbia that means temperatures as high as 46 degrees Celsius!
Central Europe is sweltering in a summer heatwave, with Romania and Croatia also affected.
But while some embrace the extreme heat, it has been bad news for farmers as drought takes its toll.
The Greek Meteorological Service issued an extreme weather warning and authorities advised residents to watch out for symptoms of heat-stroke.
With the high temperatures expected to last until the end of the week, Greek municipalities have made air-conditioned rooms available to the public and especially for vulnerable groups such as the elderly.
Extreme heat and three months without rain have caused severe droughts and water shortages in parts of Croatia.
It is estimated between 50 and 100 percent of corn, soybeans and sugar beet, has been lost in Croatia.
In Romania there were over 6,700 calls to the ambulance service in a 24 hour period at the start of the week because of the high temperatures, with some people collapsing on the street. A total of 181 people needed medical help.
In the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia temperatures reached 43 Celsius on Tuesday with a UV index of 9.
Large parts of Italy were on alert on Tuesday as the summer’s fifth anticyclone from north Africa swept across the country, bringing with it scorching temperatures.
Italian officials warned of possible health threats in central and southern Italy where temperatures rose above 40 degrees Celsius.
The top temperature in the capital Rome was 37 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, while 44 degrees Celsius was recorded in Sicily’s Agrigento.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:11 CET Nepal scrambles to organise quake relief, many flee capital
- 17:01 CET U.S., Japan unveil new defence guidelines for global Japanese role
- 16:43 CET Germany says border guards will try to keep Russian bikers out
- 16:11 CET U.S.‘s Kerry, Iran’s Zarif to meet at U.N. anti-nuclear arms…
- 16:07 CET Opposition says 1,000 killed in Angola clash with religious sect
- 15:28 CET Sanctions on Russia should be tied to fulfilling Minsk deal -…
- 15:23 CET Putin accuses ‘quasi-partners’ of counting on Russia collapse
- 15:14 CET Indonesia rebuffs last-ditch bids to delay drug – convict…