Some like it hot – and in Serbia that means temperatures as high as 46 degrees Celsius!
Central Europe is sweltering in a summer heatwave, with Romania and Croatia also affected.
But while some embrace the extreme heat, it has been bad news for farmers as drought takes its toll.
The Greek Meteorological Service issued an extreme weather warning and authorities advised residents to watch out for symptoms of heat-stroke.
With the high temperatures expected to last until the end of the week, Greek municipalities have made air-conditioned rooms available to the public and especially for vulnerable groups such as the elderly.
Extreme heat and three months without rain have caused severe droughts and water shortages in parts of Croatia.
It is estimated between 50 and 100 percent of corn, soybeans and sugar beet, has been lost in Croatia.
In Romania there were over 6,700 calls to the ambulance service in a 24 hour period at the start of the week because of the high temperatures, with some people collapsing on the street. A total of 181 people needed medical help.
In the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia temperatures reached 43 Celsius on Tuesday with a UV index of 9.
Large parts of Italy were on alert on Tuesday as the summer’s fifth anticyclone from north Africa swept across the country, bringing with it scorching temperatures.
Italian officials warned of possible health threats in central and southern Italy where temperatures rose above 40 degrees Celsius.
The top temperature in the capital Rome was 37 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, while 44 degrees Celsius was recorded in Sicily’s Agrigento.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 4UN on human rights in Ukraine: ‘stop lies, propaganda and inciting hatred’
- 5[Live] Ukraine: NATO reinforces Eastern Europe Defences as Pro-Russian progress in Donetsk and Kramatorsk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 14:37 CET Egyptian court jails 119 Mursi supporters
- 14:37 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signalling compliance
- 14:35 CET Megaupload’s Dotcom, facing legal threat, launches political party
- 14:02 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 13:59 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 13:39 CET Russia mulls lawsuit against United States in WTO over sanctions
- 13:13 CET Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes – coastguard
- 12:34 CET Palestinians, Israeli police clash at Jerusalem holy site