Some like it hot – and in Serbia that means temperatures as high as 46 degrees Celsius!
Central Europe is sweltering in a summer heatwave, with Romania and Croatia also affected.
But while some embrace the extreme heat, it has been bad news for farmers as drought takes its toll.
The Greek Meteorological Service issued an extreme weather warning and authorities advised residents to watch out for symptoms of heat-stroke.
With the high temperatures expected to last until the end of the week, Greek municipalities have made air-conditioned rooms available to the public and especially for vulnerable groups such as the elderly.
Extreme heat and three months without rain have caused severe droughts and water shortages in parts of Croatia.
It is estimated between 50 and 100 percent of corn, soybeans and sugar beet, has been lost in Croatia.
In Romania there were over 6,700 calls to the ambulance service in a 24 hour period at the start of the week because of the high temperatures, with some people collapsing on the street. A total of 181 people needed medical help.
In the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia temperatures reached 43 Celsius on Tuesday with a UV index of 9.
Large parts of Italy were on alert on Tuesday as the summer’s fifth anticyclone from north Africa swept across the country, bringing with it scorching temperatures.
Italian officials warned of possible health threats in central and southern Italy where temperatures rose above 40 degrees Celsius.
The top temperature in the capital Rome was 37 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, while 44 degrees Celsius was recorded in Sicily’s Agrigento.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 12:01 CET French fuel blockade lifted, Hollande says won’t let protesters…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees
- 11:57 CET Philippine arrests 10 Chinese fishermen in latest sea spat
- 11:56 CET U.S. is ‘two-faced’ if it does not see Syrian Kurdish YPG as…
- 11:39 CET Nigeria militants blow up gas, oil pipelines – community leader
- 11:02 CET French vessel containing black box probes arrives to EgyptAir…
- 10:57 CET Czech government parties look to calm spat over failed smoking ban…
- 10:55 CET Dalai Lama urges Tibetan unity as political leader sworn in