The widow of the one of the 11 Israelis murdered by Palestinian gunmen at the Munich Olympics in 1972, voiced her anger at the International Olympic Committee during a commemoration in London on Monday.
Guests at the service included senior British and German political figures as well as Jacques Rogge, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
Relatives had campaigned for a minute’s silence during the opening ceremony of the London Games. They were unsuccessful and Ankie Spitzer, the widow of one of the victims, did not hold back her anger:
“So shame on you, International Olympics Committee because you have forsaken the 11 members of your Olympic family. You’re discriminating against them only because they’re Israelis and Jews.”
Her accusation drew loud applause from the audience.
The service was organised by Israel as it has been for every games since Sydney 2000. But relatives say the Israelis were killed on Olympic soil and the appropriate way to remember them was during the opening ceremony.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Wires > News
- 21:26 CET Scioli maintains lead in Argentina presidential race – poll
- 21:22 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -…
- 21:20 CET Venezuela troops occupy Polar food distribution warehouses
- 20:40 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 20:38 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 20:36 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 20:18 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride parade, wounding…
- 20:13 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 air strikes in Iraq against Islamic State…