As many as a half a million people have been forced from their homes in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to Oxfam.
The charity says a three month long internal conflict is causing a major humanitarian crisis in the east of the country.
The Congolese government is fighting a rebel movement called M23, said to be backed by neighbouring Rwanda and Uganda.
A spokesperson for Oxfam has described the situation there as “chaotic”.
Another charity Medicins Sans Frontiers is worried about an outbreak of cholera in impromptu refugee camps in North Kivu province.
“This centre is short on water, no latrines, no waste disposal. There is overcrowding and hygiene rules are not being respected,” said Dr Christian Masudi.
The aid agency has set up an isolation clinic to treat those affected by the disease.
The United Nations’ aid chief Valerie Amos visited the area on Tuesday to see how NGOs are coping with the crisis.
Aid agencies have appealed for more than 630 million euros for humanitarian support but claim there has been a global funding shortfall.
A regional summit is being held in Uganda’s capital Kampala in an attempt to end to the conflict. The DRC’s neighbours have denied any involvement in the rebellion.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 4‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 5Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:49 CET Iraqi Kurds approve sending fighters to aid Syrian town
- 18:46 CET Canadian parliament locked down, one suspect reported dead
- 17:56 CET U.S. Ebola ‘czar’ starts work, drugmakers launch vaccine drive
- 17:53 CET Ukraine leader’s bloc holds election lead, Tymoshenko threatened -…
- 17:43 CET Car driven into bystanders at Jerusalem railway stop
- 17:42 CET Germany calls for clarification on Ukraine cluster bomb accusations
- 17:19 CET Arrest made after infant bodies discovered in Canadian locker
- 17:11 CET French riot police clash with migrants seeking UK entry