Three Iranian men being held captive by Syrian rebels have been killed during an air strike on the capital Damascus, according to activists.
The men were part of a group of 48 Iranians kidnapped on Saturday between the airport and the city.
Rebels accuse Iran of sending fighters from its Revolutionary Guard to help the Syrian regime to crackdown on a 17-month old uprising. Tehran says the men are pilgrims.
Syrian rebels have threatened to kill the remaining captives unless government forces stops their attacks.
Several groups of Iranians have been abducted in Syria since the uprising began in March 2011. Most have been freed.
The deaths come as Iran plans a regional meeting to help decide ways to resolve the Syrian crisis. But commentators say without powerful neighbours Turkey and Saudi Arabia taking part, there is unlikely to be any significant result.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 21:01 CET Sweden expels Russian diplomat, Moscow makes tit-for-tat move
- 20:47 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 20:43 CET Obama says no challenge greater threat to U.S. future than climate…
- 19:26 CET Immigrants in Germany swell to record high 11 million
- 19:11 CET U.N. chief says Obama power plan key ahead of climate change talks
- 18:59 CET Brazil police arrest Lula minister in bribery scandal
- 18:36 CET U.S., allies stage 29 air strikes against Islamic State – statement
- 18:31 CET Libya probing guards seen in video beating jailed Gaddafi son