Three Iranian men being held captive by Syrian rebels have been killed during an air strike on the capital Damascus, according to activists.
The men were part of a group of 48 Iranians kidnapped on Saturday between the airport and the city.
Rebels accuse Iran of sending fighters from its Revolutionary Guard to help the Syrian regime to crackdown on a 17-month old uprising. Tehran says the men are pilgrims.
Syrian rebels have threatened to kill the remaining captives unless government forces stops their attacks.
Several groups of Iranians have been abducted in Syria since the uprising began in March 2011. Most have been freed.
The deaths come as Iran plans a regional meeting to help decide ways to resolve the Syrian crisis. But commentators say without powerful neighbours Turkey and Saudi Arabia taking part, there is unlikely to be any significant result.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Khomeini grandson loses appeal to stand in Iranian election
- 13:11 CET Stalin-era prison chief jailed for 20 years in Romania
- 13:06 CET Syrian rebels demand U.S. action ahead of peace talks
- 12:46 CET Afghan police officer killed after firing on coalition troops
- 12:42 CET At least six killed at Cameroon funeral by two suicide attackers
- 12:23 CET Kremlin critic Mikhail Kasyanov says life threatened in Moscow…
- 12:08 CET Indian scientists express doubt over meteorite death attribution
- 12:02 CET France’s Fabius leaves office, wider reshuffle due