America’s Michael Phelps overcame a shaky start to edge out rival Chad le Clos and take gold in the men’s 100m butterfly final in London on Friday.
In the final individual race of his career, the 27 year old came from seventh at the turn to outclass his rivals and triumph in a time of 51.21 seconds.
This win sees him join his American team mate Missy Franklin as the only triple gold medallists in London after she destroyed the field in the 200m backstroke to set a new world record.
Elsewhere, Great Britain stormed to a second successive gold medal in the men’s team pursuit, breaking their own world record with a time of 3:51.659.
The British quartet of Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Steven Burke and Peter Kennaugh proved too strong for their opponents and sealed their place in history with a convincing win over Australia.
New Zealand beat Russia to the bronze medal in a time of 3:55.952.
Britain’s Katherine Grainger finally struck gold when she powered to victory in the women’s double sculls with partner Anna Watkins at Dorney Lake.
Grainger, who took silver at Sydney, Athens and Beijing, looked in great shape as she and Watkins put in a commanding performance to beat Australia by three seconds, with Poland nine seconds further back.
World number one Roger Federer edged out Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro in 4 hours, 26 minutes to reach the Olympic men’s singles final at Wimbledon.
The 30-year-old, who registered a 17th grand slam title last month on the same Centre Court, held his nerve to win 3-6 7-6 19-17 in the longest tennis match in Olympic history.
Federer will next lock horns with Britain’s Andy Murray after he downed Novak Djokovic 7-5 7-5.
France’s Teddy Riner defeated three-time Russian world champion Alexander Mikhayline on penalties to clinch the men’s plus 100-kilo class.
Germany’s Andreas Toelzer earned a bronze medal as he downed Ihar Makarau of Belarus. He was joined on the podium by Brazilian third seed Rafael Silva.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 06:29 CET Match abandoned as violence continues to plague Argentine game
- 05:46 CET Kaino first All Black to commit beyond Lions tour
- 05:42 CET Vettori confirms international cricket retirement
- 02:31 CET Australia name Ahmed, Voges in Ashes tour squad
- 01:14 CET Brazilian club abandon World Cup stadium in Salvador
- 01:05 CET FA end plan for combined British team at Rio Games – report
- 20:54 CET Del Bosque wants more constructive criticism of Spain
- 20:48 CET Kane to start for England against Italy, says Hodgson