America’s Michael Phelps overcame a shaky start to edge out rival Chad le Clos and take gold in the men’s 100m butterfly final in London on Friday.
In the final individual race of his career, the 27 year old came from seventh at the turn to outclass his rivals and triumph in a time of 51.21 seconds.
This win sees him join his American team mate Missy Franklin as the only triple gold medallists in London after she destroyed the field in the 200m backstroke to set a new world record.
Elsewhere, Great Britain stormed to a second successive gold medal in the men’s team pursuit, breaking their own world record with a time of 3:51.659.
The British quartet of Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Steven Burke and Peter Kennaugh proved too strong for their opponents and sealed their place in history with a convincing win over Australia.
New Zealand beat Russia to the bronze medal in a time of 3:55.952.
Britain’s Katherine Grainger finally struck gold when she powered to victory in the women’s double sculls with partner Anna Watkins at Dorney Lake.
Grainger, who took silver at Sydney, Athens and Beijing, looked in great shape as she and Watkins put in a commanding performance to beat Australia by three seconds, with Poland nine seconds further back.
World number one Roger Federer edged out Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro in 4 hours, 26 minutes to reach the Olympic men’s singles final at Wimbledon.
The 30-year-old, who registered a 17th grand slam title last month on the same Centre Court, held his nerve to win 3-6 7-6 19-17 in the longest tennis match in Olympic history.
Federer will next lock horns with Britain’s Andy Murray after he downed Novak Djokovic 7-5 7-5.
France’s Teddy Riner defeated three-time Russian world champion Alexander Mikhayline on penalties to clinch the men’s plus 100-kilo class.
Germany’s Andreas Toelzer earned a bronze medal as he downed Ihar Makarau of Belarus. He was joined on the podium by Brazilian third seed Rafael Silva.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 07:59 CET Sanctioned Beale to miss Wallabies’ season-ending tour
- 05:40 CET Australia batsmen in familiar tail-spin in Dubai
- 05:38 CET U.S., Costa Rica qualify for Women’s World Cup
- 02:02 CET PGA president fired for ‘insensitive’ remarks
- 00:18 CET Caterham F1 team set to miss next two races
- 23:13 CET Coric stuns Nadal in Basel, Federer through
- 21:57 CET Players weigh in on Bishop-Poulter spat
- 21:22 CET Italian football in danger of dying, says Juve president