America’s Michael Phelps overcame a shaky start to edge out rival Chad le Clos and take gold in the men’s 100m butterfly final in London on Friday.
In the final individual race of his career, the 27 year old came from seventh at the turn to outclass his rivals and triumph in a time of 51.21 seconds.
This win sees him join his American team mate Missy Franklin as the only triple gold medallists in London after she destroyed the field in the 200m backstroke to set a new world record.
Elsewhere, Great Britain stormed to a second successive gold medal in the men’s team pursuit, breaking their own world record with a time of 3:51.659.
The British quartet of Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Steven Burke and Peter Kennaugh proved too strong for their opponents and sealed their place in history with a convincing win over Australia.
New Zealand beat Russia to the bronze medal in a time of 3:55.952.
Britain’s Katherine Grainger finally struck gold when she powered to victory in the women’s double sculls with partner Anna Watkins at Dorney Lake.
Grainger, who took silver at Sydney, Athens and Beijing, looked in great shape as she and Watkins put in a commanding performance to beat Australia by three seconds, with Poland nine seconds further back.
World number one Roger Federer edged out Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro in 4 hours, 26 minutes to reach the Olympic men’s singles final at Wimbledon.
The 30-year-old, who registered a 17th grand slam title last month on the same Centre Court, held his nerve to win 3-6 7-6 19-17 in the longest tennis match in Olympic history.
Federer will next lock horns with Britain’s Andy Murray after he downed Novak Djokovic 7-5 7-5.
France’s Teddy Riner defeated three-time Russian world champion Alexander Mikhayline on penalties to clinch the men’s plus 100-kilo class.
Germany’s Andreas Toelzer earned a bronze medal as he downed Ihar Makarau of Belarus. He was joined on the podium by Brazilian third seed Rafael Silva.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:23 CET Honey Badger Cummins back in Wallabies World Cup reckoning
- 02:02 CET Christmas provides food for thought at Ferrari
- 01:42 CET Watson forced to leave Australia training by bouncer blow
- 23:05 CET Neureuther leads German one-two in last slalom of 2014
- 22:20 CET Englishman Willett secures Masters berth via world ranking
- 20:49 CET Scott hires new caddie for 2015
- 18:48 CET Condition of Muhammad Ali ‘vastly improved’
- 17:35 CET Leeds defender Bellusci charged by FA in racism row