America’s Michael Phelps overcame a shaky start to edge out rival Chad le Clos and take gold in the men’s 100m butterfly final in London on Friday.
In the final individual race of his career, the 27 year old came from seventh at the turn to outclass his rivals and triumph in a time of 51.21 seconds.
This win sees him join his American team mate Missy Franklin as the only triple gold medallists in London after she destroyed the field in the 200m backstroke to set a new world record.
Elsewhere, Great Britain stormed to a second successive gold medal in the men’s team pursuit, breaking their own world record with a time of 3:51.659.
The British quartet of Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Steven Burke and Peter Kennaugh proved too strong for their opponents and sealed their place in history with a convincing win over Australia.
New Zealand beat Russia to the bronze medal in a time of 3:55.952.
Britain’s Katherine Grainger finally struck gold when she powered to victory in the women’s double sculls with partner Anna Watkins at Dorney Lake.
Grainger, who took silver at Sydney, Athens and Beijing, looked in great shape as she and Watkins put in a commanding performance to beat Australia by three seconds, with Poland nine seconds further back.
World number one Roger Federer edged out Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro in 4 hours, 26 minutes to reach the Olympic men’s singles final at Wimbledon.
The 30-year-old, who registered a 17th grand slam title last month on the same Centre Court, held his nerve to win 3-6 7-6 19-17 in the longest tennis match in Olympic history.
Federer will next lock horns with Britain’s Andy Murray after he downed Novak Djokovic 7-5 7-5.
France’s Teddy Riner defeated three-time Russian world champion Alexander Mikhayline on penalties to clinch the men’s plus 100-kilo class.
Germany’s Andreas Toelzer earned a bronze medal as he downed Ihar Makarau of Belarus. He was joined on the podium by Brazilian third seed Rafael Silva.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > Sport
- 15:08 CET Olympic champ Park allowed back in pool from Monday
- 14:56 CET Stosur swagger returns after reuniting with coach
- 14:37 CET Sharapova says Fed Cup should change dates
- 14:13 CET Winter sports federations drop out of SportAccord
- 13:56 CET Swiss arrest top global football officials in U.S., Swiss…
- 13:06 CET Barca forward Suarez back in training before Cup final
- 09:33 CET All Black Carter back in number 10 shirt for Crusaders
- 09:03 CET Thais target football gold, Indos just want to play