America’s Michael Phelps overcame a shaky start to edge out rival Chad le Clos and take gold in the men’s 100m butterfly final in London on Friday.
In the final individual race of his career, the 27 year old came from seventh at the turn to outclass his rivals and triumph in a time of 51.21 seconds.
This win sees him join his American team mate Missy Franklin as the only triple gold medallists in London after she destroyed the field in the 200m backstroke to set a new world record.
Elsewhere, Great Britain stormed to a second successive gold medal in the men’s team pursuit, breaking their own world record with a time of 3:51.659.
The British quartet of Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Steven Burke and Peter Kennaugh proved too strong for their opponents and sealed their place in history with a convincing win over Australia.
New Zealand beat Russia to the bronze medal in a time of 3:55.952.
Britain’s Katherine Grainger finally struck gold when she powered to victory in the women’s double sculls with partner Anna Watkins at Dorney Lake.
Grainger, who took silver at Sydney, Athens and Beijing, looked in great shape as she and Watkins put in a commanding performance to beat Australia by three seconds, with Poland nine seconds further back.
World number one Roger Federer edged out Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro in 4 hours, 26 minutes to reach the Olympic men’s singles final at Wimbledon.
The 30-year-old, who registered a 17th grand slam title last month on the same Centre Court, held his nerve to win 3-6 7-6 19-17 in the longest tennis match in Olympic history.
Federer will next lock horns with Britain’s Andy Murray after he downed Novak Djokovic 7-5 7-5.
France’s Teddy Riner defeated three-time Russian world champion Alexander Mikhayline on penalties to clinch the men’s plus 100-kilo class.
Germany’s Andreas Toelzer earned a bronze medal as he downed Ihar Makarau of Belarus. He was joined on the podium by Brazilian third seed Rafael Silva.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
Red Bull Air Race: Arch wins in Budapest
Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
Rohan Dennis record breaking Lycra lad wins Tour de France Grand Depart
Wires > Sport
- 22:38 CET Fury to meet world champion Klitschko in October
- 22:09 CET Barca agree to sign playmaker Arda from Atletico
- 22:04 CET Reporter asks beaten Berdych how it felt to go through
- 21:47 CET Former tour physio says McIlroy is ‘up against it’
- 20:24 CET Juventus coach Allegri adds year to contract
- 19:44 CET Tour stage neutralised after huge crash
- 18:52 CET England’s ‘Lionesses’ home after strong World Cup showing
- 18:36 CET FIFA bans bid inspector Mayne-Nicholls for seven years