Hundreds of trains have been cancelled in Spain amid a one day strike by rail workers protesting against privatisation plans.
The government wants to sell off half the country’s rail sector in a drive to slash the public deficit.
The workers also oppose minimum service levels being imposed during the industrial action – higher than before and not only on passenger trains.
“Never in my life has there been a minimum service in freight transport and now there are. That’s the negotiating stance of (prime minister) Rajoy’s right wing and fascist government,” said Miguel Angel Escolario of the UGT union.
One Madrid passenger was sympathetic. She is a civil servant, a category hit hard by austerity. “They should make cuts at the top, then we’d react differently,” she said.
The unions claim that privatisation could jeopardise the safety and quality of public transport and affect around 100,000 jobs.
They are planning another 24-hour strike on September 17.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:15 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage