America’s Michael Phelps led from start to finish to claim the men’s 200m individual medley, becoming the first male swimmer to win the same event at three successive Olympics.
The 27-year-old clocked 1 minute, 54.27 seconds, just off his winning time in Beijing but nearly two-thirds ahead of fellow countryman Ryan Lochte, with Hungary’s Laszlo Cseh completing the podium.
Elsewhere, Great Britain beat France in world record time to retain their men’s Olympic track cycling team sprint title, giving Chris Hoy his fifth Games gold medal.
Jason Kenny, Philip Hindes and Hoy completed their three-lap effort in a new world mark of 42.600sec to slash 0.147 off the record they had set earlier in qualifying.
British Duo Tim Baillie and Etienne Stott produced a superb display to win Olympic C2 canoe slalom gold for Great Britain ahead of countrymen David Florence and Richard Hounslow.
The slowest of the six qualifiers from the semi-final, Baillie and Stott proved too strong for their opponents, eventually crossing the finish line in an impressive time of 106.41 seconds, a marker which would never be beaten.
Slovakian three-times Olympic champions Pavol and Peter Hochschorner had to settle for bronze after suffering a two-second penalty on their final run.
Elsewhere, British sharp-shooter Peter Wilson kept his composure to clinch the men’s double trap Olympic title.
The 25-year-old shot 188 out of 200 to secure the win ahead of Sweden’s Hakan Dahlby and Russia’s Vasily Mosin.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Klitschko and Fury warm up for title fight at Dusseldorf airport
- 5Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Wires > Sport
- 07:18 CET Cricket-India’s Shastri flays pitch critics
- 07:17 CET Local Jones holds off Spieth, Scott to win Australian Open
- 05:21 CET Rum-fuelled Pampling on his way to Troon after course record
- 01:25 CET Briton Fury crowned world champion after beating Klitschko
- 22:29 CET Record for goal-king Vardy as Leicester hold United
- 19:46 CET McClaren feeling the heat after Newcastle ship five at Palace
- 19:36 CET Mercedes seek guidance on partnership agreements
- 17:14 CET Fury in row over ring canvas for Klitschko fight