America’s Michael Phelps led from start to finish to claim the men’s 200m individual medley, becoming the first male swimmer to win the same event at three successive Olympics.
The 27-year-old clocked 1 minute, 54.27 seconds, just off his winning time in Beijing but nearly two-thirds ahead of fellow countryman Ryan Lochte, with Hungary’s Laszlo Cseh completing the podium.
Elsewhere, Great Britain beat France in world record time to retain their men’s Olympic track cycling team sprint title, giving Chris Hoy his fifth Games gold medal.
Jason Kenny, Philip Hindes and Hoy completed their three-lap effort in a new world mark of 42.600sec to slash 0.147 off the record they had set earlier in qualifying.
British Duo Tim Baillie and Etienne Stott produced a superb display to win Olympic C2 canoe slalom gold for Great Britain ahead of countrymen David Florence and Richard Hounslow.
The slowest of the six qualifiers from the semi-final, Baillie and Stott proved too strong for their opponents, eventually crossing the finish line in an impressive time of 106.41 seconds, a marker which would never be beaten.
Slovakian three-times Olympic champions Pavol and Peter Hochschorner had to settle for bronze after suffering a two-second penalty on their final run.
Elsewhere, British sharp-shooter Peter Wilson kept his composure to clinch the men’s double trap Olympic title.
The 25-year-old shot 188 out of 200 to secure the win ahead of Sweden’s Hakan Dahlby and Russia’s Vasily Mosin.
- 1Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
- 4Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
- 5Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
- 3Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
- 4World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
- 5Coe under renewed scrutiny over decision to award Eugene 2021 world championships
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 13:05 CET Chamberlain to return for Arsenal’s trip to Norwich
- 12:55 CET Altice wins Premier League broadcasting rights for French market -…
- 12:52 CET FIFA criticises Singapore’s decision to free suspected match-fixer
- 11:52 CET Allegri gets it right as new-look Juve take shape
- 11:43 CET Sevilla coach upbeat on Europa League title defence
- 11:40 CET Putin drive to swallow Crimea halts at gates of football stadiums
- 11:16 CET Improving Atletico a work in progress, Simeone says
- 11:11 CET Great start will mean little if PSG don’t improve – Blanc