America’s Michael Phelps led from start to finish to claim the men’s 200m individual medley, becoming the first male swimmer to win the same event at three successive Olympics.
The 27-year-old clocked 1 minute, 54.27 seconds, just off his winning time in Beijing but nearly two-thirds ahead of fellow countryman Ryan Lochte, with Hungary’s Laszlo Cseh completing the podium.
Elsewhere, Great Britain beat France in world record time to retain their men’s Olympic track cycling team sprint title, giving Chris Hoy his fifth Games gold medal.
Jason Kenny, Philip Hindes and Hoy completed their three-lap effort in a new world mark of 42.600sec to slash 0.147 off the record they had set earlier in qualifying.
British Duo Tim Baillie and Etienne Stott produced a superb display to win Olympic C2 canoe slalom gold for Great Britain ahead of countrymen David Florence and Richard Hounslow.
The slowest of the six qualifiers from the semi-final, Baillie and Stott proved too strong for their opponents, eventually crossing the finish line in an impressive time of 106.41 seconds, a marker which would never be beaten.
Slovakian three-times Olympic champions Pavol and Peter Hochschorner had to settle for bronze after suffering a two-second penalty on their final run.
Elsewhere, British sharp-shooter Peter Wilson kept his composure to clinch the men’s double trap Olympic title.
The 25-year-old shot 188 out of 200 to secure the win ahead of Sweden’s Hakan Dahlby and Russia’s Vasily Mosin.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 09:18 CET Van der Burgh sets 50 metres breaststroke world record
- 09:08 CET Guardiola raises doubts over Schweinsteiger’s fitness
- 08:42 CET Cattermole targets top 10 return for Sunderland
- 08:38 CET Goodes returns to Swans, hopes to face Cats
- 07:34 CET Ferdinand advises Stones to choose United over Chelsea
- 07:08 CET Man City hand teenager Barker new five-year deal
- 06:34 CET Zamora returns to Brighton after 12 years
- 02:32 CET McIlroy plans Saturday practice at Whistling Straits