America’s Michael Phelps led from start to finish to claim the men’s 200m individual medley, becoming the first male swimmer to win the same event at three successive Olympics.
The 27-year-old clocked 1 minute, 54.27 seconds, just off his winning time in Beijing but nearly two-thirds ahead of fellow countryman Ryan Lochte, with Hungary’s Laszlo Cseh completing the podium.
Elsewhere, Great Britain beat France in world record time to retain their men’s Olympic track cycling team sprint title, giving Chris Hoy his fifth Games gold medal.
Jason Kenny, Philip Hindes and Hoy completed their three-lap effort in a new world mark of 42.600sec to slash 0.147 off the record they had set earlier in qualifying.
British Duo Tim Baillie and Etienne Stott produced a superb display to win Olympic C2 canoe slalom gold for Great Britain ahead of countrymen David Florence and Richard Hounslow.
The slowest of the six qualifiers from the semi-final, Baillie and Stott proved too strong for their opponents, eventually crossing the finish line in an impressive time of 106.41 seconds, a marker which would never be beaten.
Slovakian three-times Olympic champions Pavol and Peter Hochschorner had to settle for bronze after suffering a two-second penalty on their final run.
Elsewhere, British sharp-shooter Peter Wilson kept his composure to clinch the men’s double trap Olympic title.
The 25-year-old shot 188 out of 200 to secure the win ahead of Sweden’s Hakan Dahlby and Russia’s Vasily Mosin.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Wires > Sport
- 01:18 CET Derrick, Montagliani launch bids to lead CONCACAF
- 00:20 CET Messi undergoes tests for kidney problems
- 23:57 CET New Zealand’s Santner ruled out of first test versus Australia
- 23:28 CET Finch dumped as Australia skipper for World T20
- 22:47 CET Mercedes expect McLaren to raise their game
- 22:10 CET Chelsea’s Zouma faces six months out after knee surgery
- 21:06 CET Derby sack Clement after eight months in charge
- 17:59 CET Swedish organisers cut stages after cancellation fears