Literary giant Gore Vidal, who has died aged 86, will be widely remembered as one of the finest post-war American writers.
He penned dozens of novels and screenplays, including the best-sellers ‘Burr’ and ‘Myra Breckenridge.’ He also co-wrote the script for Ben Hur, among other films.
Vidal regularly lambasted lawmakers from both the Republican and Democratic parties in his essays on politics – and even ran for political office himself on two occasions.
In 2001, the author defended his decision to witness the execution of Oklahoma city bomber Timothy McVeigh.
He had apparently been invited to the execution by McVeigh himself during a two-year correspondence between the two.
Vidal was seen as egotistical, but also elegant and brilliant.
He passed away in Hollywood on Wednesday after suffering complications from pneumonia.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Five more years for Bouteflika
- 4Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 5Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status