British rowers Heather Stanning and Helen Glover won Team GB’s maiden gold medal of London 2012 on Wednesday after finishing first in the women’s pairs contest.
The result ends the Olympic hosts four-day wait to strike gold.
Glover, 26, and Stanning, 27, finished with a time of 7:27:13 and become the first British female rowers to seal an Olympic title.
In Saturday’s heat, they had beaten the previous Olympic record of seven minutes and one second set in 1996 with their time of 6:57.
The British duo took a commanding early lead and crossed the finish line well ahead to claim the first Olympic gold won by a British women’s crew.
Stanning, who has taken time out of the army and could deploy to Afghanistan next year, and Glover, who is a physical education teacher, only got together in 2010 after missing out on qualifying for other boats.
“Ecstatic,” Glover said afterwards. “It’s so surreal, it will take forever to sink in. We’re just really relieved, thank you so much everyone.”
The performance followed a stunning few years for the pair and reflected the strength of the British system, with Glover only starting to row four years ago after being picked out as someone with potential for her 178 cm height.
Stanning, at 181 cm, started two years before that. She has been given time out of her job in the army to compete at the Games but she is expected to return later this year.
The British pair had jumped out to a length lead in the first 500 metres of the 2,000 metre course and controlled the race to win from Australia in silver and New Zealand in bronze amid deafening roars from the grandstands filled with 30,000 spectators.
- 1Champions League semi-finals: Guardiola reunited with Barcelona
- 2IOC must choose between clean-up and cover-up: SportAccord chief
- 3Bobsleigh, Volleyball and Sochi triumph in the inaugural SportAccord awards
- 4SportAccord president Marius Vizer slams IOC
- 5Bayern and Barcelona through to Champions League semi-finals
- 1Bobsleigh, Volleyball and Sochi triumph in the inaugural SportAccord awards
- 2Champions League semi-finals: Guardiola reunited with Barcelona
- 3IOC must choose between clean-up and cover-up: SportAccord chief
- 4Bayern and Barcelona through to Champions League semi-finals
- 5Champions League: Bayern face uphill task
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 16:18 CET Mick Schumacher is best rookie on F4 race debut
- 15:49 CET Spurs hold Southampton to climb to fifth
- 15:38 CET Cameron scores own goal with pre-election football gaffe
- 15:21 CET Watford take another step towards the Premier League
- 15:19 CET Retailers make a killing ahead of Pacquiao-Mayweather megafight
- 14:18 CET Pakistan paceman Rahat ruled out of Bangladesh tests
- 14:04 CET Hernandez’s patience an example for others, says Ancelotti
- 13:13 CET Fellaini contemplated United exit after difficult season