British rowers Heather Stanning and Helen Glover won Team GB’s maiden gold medal of London 2012 on Wednesday after finishing first in the women’s pairs contest.
The result ends the Olympic hosts four-day wait to strike gold.
Glover, 26, and Stanning, 27, finished with a time of 7:27:13 and become the first British female rowers to seal an Olympic title.
In Saturday’s heat, they had beaten the previous Olympic record of seven minutes and one second set in 1996 with their time of 6:57.
The British duo took a commanding early lead and crossed the finish line well ahead to claim the first Olympic gold won by a British women’s crew.
Stanning, who has taken time out of the army and could deploy to Afghanistan next year, and Glover, who is a physical education teacher, only got together in 2010 after missing out on qualifying for other boats.
“Ecstatic,” Glover said afterwards. “It’s so surreal, it will take forever to sink in. We’re just really relieved, thank you so much everyone.”
The performance followed a stunning few years for the pair and reflected the strength of the British system, with Glover only starting to row four years ago after being picked out as someone with potential for her 178 cm height.
Stanning, at 181 cm, started two years before that. She has been given time out of her job in the army to compete at the Games but she is expected to return later this year.
The British pair had jumped out to a length lead in the first 500 metres of the 2,000 metre course and controlled the race to win from Australia in silver and New Zealand in bronze amid deafening roars from the grandstands filled with 30,000 spectators.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 3Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 4South African mourns three sporting heroes
- 5Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 3Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 4Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 12Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 13Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 01:31 CET Formula One urged to cut costs as teams fail
- 01:28 CET Controversial batsman Ryder gets World Cup lifeline
- 00:52 CET Mercedes rivals warm up with burgers and bling
- 23:12 CET Rio 2016 says it will offset 3.6 million tonnes of emissions at…
- 23:01 CET Formula One tweaks qualifying due to fewer cars
- 22:13 CET Austrian Braendle sets new hour record
- 21:31 CET Button is a wanted man, says his manager
- 20:34 CET London-bound Murray puts an end to ‘bad year’ babble