Eight female badminton players at the Olympics have been expelled from Olympic competition by the Badminton World Federation for not trying to win their matches.
The Federation, which is the sport’s governing body, said the four pairs of players were guilty of “not using one’s best efforts to win a match.”
They had been charged with deliberately losing group stage contests to secure an easier draw through the Olympic tournament.
One pair from China, one from Indonesia and two from South Korea were handed the punishment at a disciplinary hearing on Wednesday.
Fans jeered during one doubles match between China and South Korea, with the referee stopping the game at one point to warn the players as they deliberately sprayed shots and hit serves into the net to concede points.
The players involved were China’s world champions Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang, Indonesia’s Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari and two South Korean pairs – Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na, and Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 22:45 CET Benzema puts Real in charge against holders Bayern
- 22:01 CET Liverpool announce Anfield stadium revamp plans
- 21:52 CET Best and worst sporting comebacks
- 21:42 CET Januzaj opts to play for Belgium
- 19:52 CET Chelsea trio charged by FA after Sunderland defeat
- 18:54 CET Farbrace named England assistant coach
- 17:44 CET Ethiopia appoint Portugal’s Barreto as coach
- 17:37 CET Europe split by financial iron curtain, says Champagne