Eight female badminton players at the Olympics have been expelled from Olympic competition by the Badminton World Federation for not trying to win their matches.
The Federation, which is the sport’s governing body, said the four pairs of players were guilty of “not using one’s best efforts to win a match.”
They had been charged with deliberately losing group stage contests to secure an easier draw through the Olympic tournament.
One pair from China, one from Indonesia and two from South Korea were handed the punishment at a disciplinary hearing on Wednesday.
Fans jeered during one doubles match between China and South Korea, with the referee stopping the game at one point to warn the players as they deliberately sprayed shots and hit serves into the net to concede points.
The players involved were China’s world champions Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang, Indonesia’s Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari and two South Korean pairs – Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na, and Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 14Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > Sport
- 05:48 CET Corinthians’ win marred by racism row
- 04:49 CET Piutau confirms overseas contract, World Cup hopes in doubt
- 04:11 CET Arsenal and Liverpool focus on points not Cup glory
- 02:51 CET Assistant Gibson to take over from Cheika as Waratahs coach
- 02:18 CET Ice-cool Ko aims to have fun at Mission Hills
- 02:10 CET Australia coach Lehmann defends Haddin, aggression
- 01:29 CET Australia’s Hunt on Reds bench in comeback after drug ban
- 01:27 CET Mission Hills fan Lewis targets a third major win