US republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is in Poland on the final leg of a foreign tour that continues to provoke controversy.
In the Baltic port of Gdansk he met Lech Walesa, the former leader of the Solidarity movement that toppled the communist Polish government in the 1980’s.
But his visit did not have the support of Solidarity, who said that in the past Romney has supported attacks on trade unions and employee rights.
He arrived in Poland from Israel, where his suggestion that ‘cultural’ differences could be behind that country’s economic success in comparison to Palestinians, has led to some strong criticism.
Saeb Erekat, senior aide to Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, said:
“Today, Mr Romney takes another step forward with a racist statement saying that it’s because of the Israeli culture – it is better than the Palestinian culture. Look, Palestinians and Israelis may be in a conflict, but Palestinians and Israelis are people, equal, and such racist statements do not serve those who are trying to protect and save lives in this region”.
But some observers say the response may be more about misunderstanding rather than racism.
“He said something which could have been misinterpreted”, said Abraham Diskin, a political scientist at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. “And I hope that that was the case; I definitely hope that no one who is a candidate for the presidency of the United States is a real racist.”
Mitt Romney has also cast aspersions on the UK’s ability to run the Olympics and described Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. It is thought his tour is aimed at promoting his foreign office credentials as part of his campaign for the White House.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Latest world news
Netanyahu pledges to protect Israel ‘from predatory animals’
Syrian monitoring group says at least 500 killed in Aleppo offensive
Final toll given of deaths and injuries in German train crash
US: Jeb Bush vows to fight on after New Hampshire primary
France: controversial reforms clear first hurdle
Wires > News
- 16:03 CET EU agrees Greece border demands, heralding Schengen suspension
- 16:00 CET In Yemen war, hospitals bombed to rubble, starvation spreads
- 15:55 CET Wild elephant rampage in Indian village caught on video
- 15:55 CET EU executive recommends suspending third of migrant relocations to…
- 15:47 CET Trump, Sanders ride U.S. anti-establishment wave to New Hampshire…
- 15:34 CET German train crash investigations focus on signal controller -…
- 15:01 CET Italy arrests priest for allegedly defrauding elderly savers
- 14:59 CET Landmine kills four civilians in east Ukraine