US republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is in Poland on the final leg of a foreign tour that continues to provoke controversy.
In the Baltic port of Gdansk he met Lech Walesa, the former leader of the Solidarity movement that toppled the communist Polish government in the 1980’s.
But his visit did not have the support of Solidarity, who said that in the past Romney has supported attacks on trade unions and employee rights.
He arrived in Poland from Israel, where his suggestion that ‘cultural’ differences could be behind that country’s economic success in comparison to Palestinians, has led to some strong criticism.
Saeb Erekat, senior aide to Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas, said:
“Today, Mr Romney takes another step forward with a racist statement saying that it’s because of the Israeli culture – it is better than the Palestinian culture. Look, Palestinians and Israelis may be in a conflict, but Palestinians and Israelis are people, equal, and such racist statements do not serve those who are trying to protect and save lives in this region”.
But some observers say the response may be more about misunderstanding rather than racism.
“He said something which could have been misinterpreted”, said Abraham Diskin, a political scientist at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. “And I hope that that was the case; I definitely hope that no one who is a candidate for the presidency of the United States is a real racist.”
Mitt Romney has also cast aspersions on the UK’s ability to run the Olympics and described Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. It is thought his tour is aimed at promoting his foreign office credentials as part of his campaign for the White House.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 23:49 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- 23:07 CET U.S. drone kills six suspected militants in Pakistan
- 23:02 CET Western-backed Syrian rebels say kill foreign Islamic State…
- 23:00 CET Cameroon involved in Central Africa ‘blood diamond’ trade – …
- 22:54 CET Greek ship ferries hundreds more migrants to mainland
- 22:30 CET Friendly fire from Saudi-led coalition kills seven in Yemen -…
- 22:26 CET Migrant chaos at Budapest train station; Germany says EU rules…
- 22:04 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.