Spanish women’s rights groups have staged a protest in Madrid against the conservative government’s plans to restrict the right to abortion.
It wants to roll back reforms introduced by the previous socialist government two years ago, including in cases where the foetus is deformed.
As it stands the law allows abortion on demand until women are 14 weeks pregnant. 16 and 17-year-olds can abort without parental permission.
Spain’s Justice Minister Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon wants to impose a condition of parental approval for those youngsters, and says handicap or malformation alone should not justify abortion.
Elected last year, the government promised to tighten abortion laws. But one poll on Sunday suggested its plans were deeply unpopular, even among practising Roman Catholics.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 2Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 3Kyiv ultimatum to pro-Russian militia to disarm expires
- 4Australia avoids worst of Cyclone Ita but stormy weather still expected
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Kyiv calls for UN peacekeepers as pro-Russians approach Putin
- 1Missing flight MH370: ‘most promising lead’ yet as search crews detect two signal pings
- 2Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 5Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead -…
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift
- 04:05 CET Recovery effort underway after two die in Australia coal mine
- 02:09 CET Iran’s Zarif not worried about pushback from hardliners on nuclear…
- 01:35 CET Thousands flee gun battle as Chad withdraw from Central African…
- 01:06 CET U.S., China in ‘productive’ talks after North Korea test threat
- 23:40 CET Bombs wound three policemen in Cairo