28/07/12 22:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Syrian government says its forces have freed two Italian workers allegedly kidnapped by an armed group earlier this month.
It claims they were seized by “terrorists”.
The men, electrical engineers working for an energy company, were taken on their way to the airport as they tried to leave the country.
Interviewed on Syrian state TV, they said they had no idea who abducted them.
“Eight days ago when we were on the road, between the Sheraton Hotel and Damascus airport, we were kidnapped by a group of young people. They were fully covered and their faces were covered with a black mask,” said Domenico Tedeschi.
His colleague Oriano Cantani said: “There was at
least 10 or 15 people, with Kalashnikovs, with guns, grenades, bazookas. A lot, a lot.”
One Italian media report said the men had been in a convoy of 20 staff but got separated from the group and ended up in the hands of rebels.
The men said they were taken to several different locations while they were held captive.
The Italian government has welcomed their release.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…