On the eve of the Olympics, London’s black cab drivers have staged a demonstration as part of their continuing fight to be allowed to use the specially designated Olympic road lanes, which are designed to allow competitors and officials to move around London without getting into traffic jams. Hyde Park Corner came to a virtual standstill durng the protest.
After half an hour, the police funnelled traffic away from the area. Transport for London has already admitted that road traffic is likely to be substantially disturbed during the games and is advising everyone to use public transport when at all possible.
Wires > News
- 01:10 CET Niger says kills 12 Boko Haram fighters in gun battle
- 23:27 CET Canada’s Trudeau defends assisted suicide bill as deadline nears
- 23:20 CET First tropical storm of year to threaten U.S. heads for South…
- 22:01 CET Vintage plane crashed in Hudson River during emergency landing…
- 20:01 CET Chile President Bachelet testifies in tax probe into…
- 19:37 CET German Protestant bishop wants Islam classes in all state schools
- 19:36 CET Iraqi Sunni politicians reject visit by Iran’s Soleimani to Falluja
- 19:26 CET Pope meets children, says migrants ‘not dangerous, but in danger’