Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras is meeting with a troika of EU, International Monetary Fund and European Central Bank inspectors to try and convince them to release the final bailout payment of 31.5 billion euros.
Without the money, Greece would probably go bankrupt and have to leave the euro. The Greek government says it is preparing cost-cutting plans to save 11.7 billion euros during 2013 and 2014.
Greek reforms aimed at cutting public spending have fallen behind schedule, however.
Greek government spokesperson Symeon Kedikoglou said: “The prime minister was briefed by the troika representatives on the progress of their meetings so far and the initiatives that have to be taken in order for the Greek programme to get back on track.”
As anti-austerity demonstrations continue, the latest cost-cutting plan has still not been agreed by all the government’s coalition partners. Cuts to supplemental pensions and social security benefits are expected but the government says it is trying to avoid any further wage cuts.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
Wires > News
- 08:29 CET At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 07:07 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP sweeps back to power on country’s…
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:29 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters