27/07/12 01:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Syrian rebels are stockpiling food, arms and medical supplies as government forces mobilise on the outskirts of Aleppo.
The city is bracing itself for a major battle betwen the free Syrian army and forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.
Regime aircraft launched raids on the country’s second city throughout Thursday as tanks and troops prepared for an onslaught.
Rebels claim skirmishes are talking place all around the city of Aleppo:
“We attacked them here just close to the mosque and the military police compound. There were about 300 troops. They had some tanks like that one,” said one activist.
Aleppo is Syria’s commercial hub and key to controlling the north of the country.
The US frustrated by the international response fears a bloodbath. Victoria Nuland from the US State Department said:
“This is the concern: that we will see a massacre in Aleppo and that’s what the regime appears to be lining up for. In the absence of being able to work in the U.N. we have to re-double our efforts with like-minded nations outside of the U.N. system.”
As the military hardware heads for Aleppo, thousands of refugees continue to flee the violence seeking solace in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…
- 11:59 CET U.N. urges Greece to improve poor living conditions for refugees