Now Reading:

Apple hopes for hefty damages in Samsung battle


Apple hopes for hefty damages in Samsung battle


Apple wants just over two billion euros damages in its legal battle against Samsung over patents for technology used in smartphones and tablets.

That figure is in court papers Apple filed in San Jose, California, ahead of a trial centred on who has copied who’s technology.

The Koreans countered by saying Apple is trying “to stifle legitimate competition and limit consumer choice to maintain its historically exorbitant profits.”

Apple believes Samsung owes “substantial monetary damages” because the Korean company illegally “chose to compete by copying Apple.”

Apple said this allowed Samsung to overtake it as the world’s largest maker of smartphones, and reap “billions of dollars in profits”.

Apple said it also plans to seek a permanent injunction to stop future violations.

Samsung said in its filing that Apple should pay for the use of Samsung’s patented technology, “without which Apple could not have become a successful participant in the mobile telecommunications industry.”

The world’s largest consumer electronics companies are scheduled to go to a jury trial on July 30 before US District Judge Lucy Koh.

Their dispute is part of a worldwide legal battle over the alleged theft of technology used in smartphones and tablets, including those powered by Google’s Android, which Samsung uses in its most popular devices.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook and top Samsung executives last week participated in court-supervised mediation to try to resolve the case but a resolution appeared to be unlikely, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke to the Reuters news agency.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article