The European Commission has accused Romania of failing to respect democratic values.
Its damning verdict on the state of the rule of law there follows the centre-left government’s move to impeach the president.
“Events in Romania have shaken our trust: challenging judicial decisions, undermining the Constitutional court, overturning established procedures and removing key checks and balances have called into question the government’s commitment to respect the rule of law”, said Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission.
Prime Minister Victor Ponta moved to oust centre-right head of state, Traian Basescu, earlier this month, accusing him of blocking government policies.
Romania’s parliament, dominated by Ponta’s Social Liberal Union, voted to suspend Basescu on July 6th.
His impeachment will only be confirmed if approved by voters in a July 29th referendum.
A turnout of more than 50 percent is required for the result to be valid.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 14Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 15EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news