The European Commission has accused Romania of failing to respect democratic values.
Its damning verdict on the state of the rule of law there follows the centre-left government’s move to impeach the president.
“Events in Romania have shaken our trust: challenging judicial decisions, undermining the Constitutional court, overturning established procedures and removing key checks and balances have called into question the government’s commitment to respect the rule of law”, said Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission.
Prime Minister Victor Ponta moved to oust centre-right head of state, Traian Basescu, earlier this month, accusing him of blocking government policies.
Romania’s parliament, dominated by Ponta’s Social Liberal Union, voted to suspend Basescu on July 6th.
His impeachment will only be confirmed if approved by voters in a July 29th referendum.
A turnout of more than 50 percent is required for the result to be valid.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter