18/07/12 17:19 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The European Commission has accused Romania of failing to respect democratic values.
Its damning verdict on the state of the rule of law there follows the centre-left government’s move to impeach the president.
“Events in Romania have shaken our trust: challenging judicial decisions, undermining the Constitutional court, overturning established procedures and removing key checks and balances have called into question the government’s commitment to respect the rule of law”, said Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission.
Prime Minister Victor Ponta moved to oust centre-right head of state, Traian Basescu, earlier this month, accusing him of blocking government policies.
Romania’s parliament, dominated by Ponta’s Social Liberal Union, voted to suspend Basescu on July 6th.
His impeachment will only be confirmed if approved by voters in a July 29th referendum.
A turnout of more than 50 percent is required for the result to be valid.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video