The European Commission has accused Romania of failing to respect democratic values.
Its damning verdict on the state of the rule of law there follows the centre-left government’s move to impeach the president.
“Events in Romania have shaken our trust: challenging judicial decisions, undermining the Constitutional court, overturning established procedures and removing key checks and balances have called into question the government’s commitment to respect the rule of law”, said Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of the European Commission.
Prime Minister Victor Ponta moved to oust centre-right head of state, Traian Basescu, earlier this month, accusing him of blocking government policies.
Romania’s parliament, dominated by Ponta’s Social Liberal Union, voted to suspend Basescu on July 6th.
His impeachment will only be confirmed if approved by voters in a July 29th referendum.
A turnout of more than 50 percent is required for the result to be valid.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy