Thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews have been protesting in Jerusalem against plans to make them perform military service.
Israel’s government wants members of the cloistered community to serve in the armed forces and has been trying to reach a deal before a court-determined deadline on 1 August.
However, ultra-Orthodox leaders say their followers are serving the state with their committment to God in prayer and study.
Military service is a highly emotive subject in Israel, where most men and women start a two or three-year service at the age of 18. Many are subsequently called up for reserve duty into their 40s.
Secular Israelis have long complained that their ultra-Orthodox compatriots have never shared the burden of national defence. The issue has raised tensions across the country with thousands of people rallying recently in opposition to the exemption.
In addition, Kadima, the biggest ally of the ruling Likud faction has stressed its determination to quit the government unless an all-inclusive solution is found.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 3Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 4Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 5Heated exchanges in Athens as Greek PM vows not to capitulate over bail-out extension plans
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:34 CET Major power outage hits cities and provinces across Turkey
- 11:33 CET U.S. pledges $507 million for victims of Syria crisis
- 10:36 CET Kuwait emir pledges $500 million for Syrian humanitarian crisis
- 10:35 CET Thai PM asks king’s permission to lift martial law
- 10:19 CET Japan and U.S. look to extend naval missions after law change
- 10:18 CET Austria charges 14-year old with terror offences
- 09:47 CET Myanmar government, rebels sign draft nationwide ceasefire accord
- 09:39 CET Indonesia launches military exercises to guard against security…