A coffin symbolising the death of Spain’s civil service took pride of place at the latest in what are now daily demonstrations against the country’s austerity measures.
Chanting “Hands up it’s a hold up”, at least a thousand protesters filled the streets of the capital, Madrid.
The latest round of cuts announced by Mariano Rajoy’s government include raising VAT and cutting public workers’ Christmas bonuses.
Miguel Ángel Lorenzo of the CGT Union was particularly angry about that. “They’re cutting the Christmas bonus of people who earn 1,200 euros after 20 years of service,” he said.
“We consider the type of cuts made are totally unfair at a national level in the way they affect the unemployed, the handicapped and us,” added a fireman.
It is the first time firefighters have taken part in the protests, joining nurses, teachers and ordinary Spaniards who say the austerity measures demanded by the EU and the IMF go too far.
An official day of action is planned for Thursday.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 2Rescuers in China get aid through to quake-struck village on foot
- 3Two gunmen shot dead at art show featuring Mohammad cartoons in Texas
- 4Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 5UK election: still too close to call, according to latest polls
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:56 CET France, Saudi Arabia – Iran nuclear deal must avoid destabilising…
- 00:24 CET Britain can’t impose its agenda on EU – Juncker
- 23:22 CET Gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas monitored for years
- 23:04 CET Britain can’t impose its agenda on EU – Juncker
- 22:30 CET Central African Republic opens forum that aims to end conflict
- 20:46 CET Nigeria’s Boko Haram in disarray as government forces advance
- 20:39 CET Lithuania detains suspected Russian spy – prosecutor’s office
- 19:41 CET U.S. cannot confirm al Qaeda claim in blogger’s killing in…