A coffin symbolising the death of Spain’s civil service took pride of place at the latest in what are now daily demonstrations against the country’s austerity measures.
Chanting “Hands up it’s a hold up”, at least a thousand protesters filled the streets of the capital, Madrid.
The latest round of cuts announced by Mariano Rajoy’s government include raising VAT and cutting public workers’ Christmas bonuses.
Miguel Ángel Lorenzo of the CGT Union was particularly angry about that. “They’re cutting the Christmas bonus of people who earn 1,200 euros after 20 years of service,” he said.
“We consider the type of cuts made are totally unfair at a national level in the way they affect the unemployed, the handicapped and us,” added a fireman.
It is the first time firefighters have taken part in the protests, joining nurses, teachers and ordinary Spaniards who say the austerity measures demanded by the EU and the IMF go too far.
An official day of action is planned for Thursday.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz, as new video emerges
- 2Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 3Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 4Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 5“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:38 CET Thai man jailed for 25 years over royal insult posts on Facebook
- 12:35 CET Islamic State attacks Syrian village, kills 30 – monitor
- 12:34 CET Greece, EU/IMF lenders end round of technical talks without deal
- 11:56 CET U.S., Kuwait pledge over $1 billion towards Syria crisis
- 11:34 CET Major power outage hits cities and provinces across Turkey
- 10:36 CET Kuwait emir pledges $500 million for Syrian humanitarian crisis
- 10:35 CET Thai PM asks king’s permission to lift martial law
- 10:19 CET Japan and U.S. look to extend naval missions after law change