A pet part-Manx cat who pawed his way into American politics is celebrating 15 years as mayor of an Alaskan town.
Residents in Talkeetna favoured a feline rather than a real candidate so Mayor Stubbs was given the honorary title. It started as a joke, but the cat won as a ‘write in’ candidate on the ballot papers.
He has been a popular tourist attraction ever since in the town of 900 people.
“He was just in the Alaska Magazine, and he’s been featured in a few different things,” said Lauri Stec, who works at Nagley’s General Store in Talkeetna, where Stubbs hangs out most of the time.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 19:59 CET North American leaders vow to boost trade despite threats
- 19:56 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 19:55 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP seen sweeping back to power in polls
- 19:54 CET EU, U.S. urge Bosnia to pass reforms critical for EU bid, IMF funds
- 18:23 CET Russia agrees to talks with NATO after Warsaw summit – France
- 17:05 CET Kenyan forces kill five suspected Islamist militants
- 17:03 CET Groups urge U.N. to suspend Saudi Arabia from rights council
- 16:55 CET Rising asylum claims to lift Swiss budget deficit in 2017