A pet part-Manx cat who pawed his way into American politics is celebrating 15 years as mayor of an Alaskan town.
Residents in Talkeetna favoured a feline rather than a real candidate so Mayor Stubbs was given the honorary title. It started as a joke, but the cat won as a ‘write in’ candidate on the ballot papers.
He has been a popular tourist attraction ever since in the town of 900 people.
“He was just in the Alaska Magazine, and he’s been featured in a few different things,” said Lauri Stec, who works at Nagley’s General Store in Talkeetna, where Stubbs hangs out most of the time.
Wires > News
- 07:34 CET China, Russia urge U.S. to drop Korea missile defence proposal
- 06:33 CET Iran holds run-off parliamentary election – state TV
- 06:15 CET Shanghai Hongqiao airport fire put out, two dead – state TV
- 06:07 CET North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour -…
- 05:54 CET Japan’s corpse hotels upset some of the neighbours
- 01:43 CET Brazil’s Temer says a new government would focus on growth – TV
- 01:37 CET Mexico investigates top crime fighter over missing 43 students case
- 01:03 CET Former Nazi guard expected to break silence at German trial