The feuding Sudanese leader Omar Hassan al-Bashir and his southern counterpart Salva Kiir have come face to face at this year’s African Union summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Their meeting raised hopes for a negotiated settlement of oil and border disputes since South Sudan became independent from the north a year ago.
African leaders gathered to resolve the military coups in Mali, which has tarnished the continents democratic credentials.
Mali’s al Qaeda-linked local and foreign jihadists have seized control of the largely desert north.
African Union Peace and Security Commissioner, Ramtane Lamamra said: “Council reiterates this determination to impose sanctions against terrorists and criminal groups operating in Northern Mali, as well as against any other armed groups that impede the search for solution to the crisis and the efforts of ECOWAS and AU.”
The summit is also an opportunity to find a new AU president to replace the incumbent Jean Ping of Gabon.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 17:18 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 17:10 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 17:05 CET Poles most worried about their independence in at least 23 years -…
- 16:35 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 16:24 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 16:00 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 15:59 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud