The feuding Sudanese leader Omar Hassan al-Bashir and his southern counterpart Salva Kiir have come face to face at this year’s African Union summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Their meeting raised hopes for a negotiated settlement of oil and border disputes since South Sudan became independent from the north a year ago.
African leaders gathered to resolve the military coups in Mali, which has tarnished the continents democratic credentials.
Mali’s al Qaeda-linked local and foreign jihadists have seized control of the largely desert north.
African Union Peace and Security Commissioner, Ramtane Lamamra said: “Council reiterates this determination to impose sanctions against terrorists and criminal groups operating in Northern Mali, as well as against any other armed groups that impede the search for solution to the crisis and the efforts of ECOWAS and AU.”
The summit is also an opportunity to find a new AU president to replace the incumbent Jean Ping of Gabon.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader