The feuding Sudanese leader Omar Hassan al-Bashir and his southern counterpart Salva Kiir have come face to face at this year’s African Union summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Their meeting raised hopes for a negotiated settlement of oil and border disputes since South Sudan became independent from the north a year ago.
African leaders gathered to resolve the military coups in Mali, which has tarnished the continents democratic credentials.
Mali’s al Qaeda-linked local and foreign jihadists have seized control of the largely desert north.
African Union Peace and Security Commissioner, Ramtane Lamamra said: “Council reiterates this determination to impose sanctions against terrorists and criminal groups operating in Northern Mali, as well as against any other armed groups that impede the search for solution to the crisis and the efforts of ECOWAS and AU.”
The summit is also an opportunity to find a new AU president to replace the incumbent Jean Ping of Gabon.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report