With only two weeks to go before the London Games get underway, the military has been asked to provide up to 3500 extra troops to guard the event after the private security firm G4S announced it might not meet its commitments with regards to the 10,400 security guards it was supposed to provide.
With thousands of athletes and officials expected to arrive in London this weekend, Britain’s Home Secretary Theresa May was called to the House of Commons to explain the last minute decision. She said that the issue was “only crystalised’‘ Wednesday.
The armed forces will now provide the extra troops on top of the 13500 personnel they had already agreed to supply as part of Britain’s biggest peacetime security operation.
The London Games get underway on the 27th of July.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.