Seventeen years after the Srebrenica massacre, trucks are still carrying remains through Sarajevo, on the way to the Potocari memorial cemetery, for mass burial.
This year 520 bodies have been identified, naming the dead. Among them are six children and four women, the eldest aged 94. With them, the total laid to rest in Srebrenica comes to 5,657.
Survivor Mujo Music said: “I will bury my son. He was 26. We escaped through the forest when Srebrenica fell. When we reached Snagovo, they started firing at us from Kula. Eight people were killed, including my son. His body remained in the field. I found two bones. I have buried many relatives already. My wife died of grief. I do not know what to do any more.”
More victims continue to be found each year. The arrest of the guilty, and the trial of General Ratko Mladic, is no consolation to the families in mourning.
One woman said: “Bosnia’s pain, the pain of the Drina region, Mladic doesn’t see. They should put him on trial here.”
Another said: “May he never see his children again. My son has never seen his father. We only found four of his bones. That’s all we’ll bury.”
In The Hague, at the war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, the trial of the man arrested last year after 16 years as a fugitive from justice resumed on Monday.
As witnesses testified and evidence is presented, the 70-year-old defendant Mladic appears unmoved.
Seventeen years after the Srebrenica massacre, his former partisans share in his denial. In Pale, the Bosnian Serb fiefdom near Sarajevo, it seems that little has been learned.
Comments from residents included: “It does not matter that he’s in The Hague. He is a Serb hero, forever.”
And another: “To Serbs, Mladic is a synonym for justice and the survival of the Serb people. As far as I am concerned, Serbs now need a new Mladic.”
Among those taking part in ceremonies is Nazi Holocaust survivor Arthur Schneier.
He spoke of a duty to speak out, see and listen: “Eventually you pay a very heavy price for silence. So, silence is not the answer. You have to stand up in the face of injustice. Whenever you face man’s inhumanity to man you can’t close your eyes. You have to hear the cry of the oppressed.”
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:48 CET U.S. says Iranian forces fire on and board cargo ship in Gulf
- 17:46 CET Tsipras presses for May debt deal, threatens referendum
- 17:10 CET Baltimore cleans up, mayor scrambles after riot over…
- 16:50 CET Man who fought in Syria detained in Bosnia over police killing
- 16:39 CET Obama hosts Japan’s Abe, hails alliance as ‘indestructible’
- 16:30 CET EU’s Mogherini, Iran’s Zarif to hold talks in New York on Tuesday
- 16:25 CET Kurds arrest five over bombing outside U.S. consulate in Erbil
- 16:16 CET Xenophobia row exposes rivalry between South Africa and Nigeria