Seventeen years after the Srebrenica massacre, trucks are still carrying remains through Sarajevo, on the way to the Potocari memorial cemetery, for mass burial.
This year 520 bodies have been identified, naming the dead. Among them are six children and four women, the eldest aged 94. With them, the total laid to rest in Srebrenica comes to 5,657.
Survivor Mujo Music said: “I will bury my son. He was 26. We escaped through the forest when Srebrenica fell. When we reached Snagovo, they started firing at us from Kula. Eight people were killed, including my son. His body remained in the field. I found two bones. I have buried many relatives already. My wife died of grief. I do not know what to do any more.”
More victims continue to be found each year. The arrest of the guilty, and the trial of General Ratko Mladic, is no consolation to the families in mourning.
One woman said: “Bosnia’s pain, the pain of the Drina region, Mladic doesn’t see. They should put him on trial here.”
Another said: “May he never see his children again. My son has never seen his father. We only found four of his bones. That’s all we’ll bury.”
In The Hague, at the war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, the trial of the man arrested last year after 16 years as a fugitive from justice resumed on Monday.
As witnesses testified and evidence is presented, the 70-year-old defendant Mladic appears unmoved.
Seventeen years after the Srebrenica massacre, his former partisans share in his denial. In Pale, the Bosnian Serb fiefdom near Sarajevo, it seems that little has been learned.
Comments from residents included: “It does not matter that he’s in The Hague. He is a Serb hero, forever.”
And another: “To Serbs, Mladic is a synonym for justice and the survival of the Serb people. As far as I am concerned, Serbs now need a new Mladic.”
Among those taking part in ceremonies is Nazi Holocaust survivor Arthur Schneier.
He spoke of a duty to speak out, see and listen: “Eventually you pay a very heavy price for silence. So, silence is not the answer. You have to stand up in the face of injustice. Whenever you face man’s inhumanity to man you can’t close your eyes. You have to hear the cry of the oppressed.”
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 23:16 CET U.S. to parole convicted Israeli spy Pollard on November 21
- 22:45 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:44 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:15 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 22:05 CET EU’s Mogherini in Iran to discuss nuclear deal, region – TV
- 20:35 CET Ukrainian military pilot faces unfair trial in Russia – lawyers
- 20:30 CET As peace talks advance, Colombia struggles to find its missing
- 19:18 CET Sudan summons EU diplomat over statement on humanitarian needs