Doctors and nurses in Portugal went on strike on Wednesday in protest at government spending cuts.
Unions called for the two-day walkout over plans to slash the country’s healthcare budget to meet EU-IMF bailout targets.
Medics are also angry about the hikes in consultation fees and the increased use of private firms to provide public services.
Jorge Roque da Cunha, the secretary-general of Independent Doctors Union, said: “We do not want to see a health system that allows the state to hire whichever medics offer the cheapest hourly rate.”
The planned reforms are part of Lisbon’s bid to shrink its budget deficit as part of a 78 billion euros rescue package agreed in May last year.
The government said 4,500 operations and 400,000 appointments could be cancelled during the industrial action, which ends on Thursday.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 19:08 CET El Salvador detains ex-soldiers for 1989 Jesuit priest killings
- 19:06 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 19:04 CET Nations aim for Afghan peace talks with Taliban by end-February
- 18:44 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 18:06 CET Stade de France reopens for first time since Paris attacks
- 18:01 CET Hundreds more candidates allowed to contest Iran election
- 17:41 CET Five killed in Austrian avalanche – police
- 16:31 CET Critic of Vatican leaves its sexual abuse commission