11/07/12 12:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A group of inmates in a Brazilian high-security jail, clad in red prison uniforms, pedal furiously on stationary exercise bikes.
Guards watch over them as they eat up the virtual kilometres.
The prisoners are not just cycling to keep fit: they are doing the local community a good turn, and by doing so get to reduce their sentences.
How? As they pedal, the inmates generate electricity which helps light the town at night.
Ronaldo da Silva is serving a five-and-a-half year term for holding up a bakery.
“Here, by cycling, we feel more important and more useful,” he says. “You feel better day-to-day.”
The scheme was the idea of a local judge. Businesses and police helped make it work.
“With our project, the idea is that they can now exercise, lose weight and at the same time it also benefits them because after every three days of work, their sentence shortens by one day,” said Prison Director Gilson Rafael Silva.
Each night the charged battery is used to light up the riverside promenade at Santa Rita do Sapucai in the mountains north of Sao Paulo. Long abandoned after dark, the area has been brought back to life.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
- 5All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
EU and Turkey agree on a 3-billion euro plan to confront the flows of refugees into Europe
‘Save our planet’ say demonstrators worldwide on eve of UN climate summit
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Wires > News
- 21:01 CET U.S. senators call for 20,000 troops in Syria and Iraq
- 20:31 CET German police tackle mass brawl at Berlin refugee shelter
- 20:31 CET Declaring ‘new beginning’, EU, Turkey seal migrant deal
- 20:03 CET Israel suspends EU role in peace process with Palestinians
- 19:48 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 19:47 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 19:36 CET Colorado shooting suspect said ‘no more baby parts’ -reports
- 19:29 CET Russian air strikes kill at least 30 in stepped up raids in…