A group of inmates in a Brazilian high-security jail, clad in red prison uniforms, pedal furiously on stationary exercise bikes.
Guards watch over them as they eat up the virtual kilometres.
The prisoners are not just cycling to keep fit: they are doing the local community a good turn, and by doing so get to reduce their sentences.
How? As they pedal, the inmates generate electricity which helps light the town at night.
Ronaldo da Silva is serving a five-and-a-half year term for holding up a bakery.
“Here, by cycling, we feel more important and more useful,” he says. “You feel better day-to-day.”
The scheme was the idea of a local judge. Businesses and police helped make it work.
“With our project, the idea is that they can now exercise, lose weight and at the same time it also benefits them because after every three days of work, their sentence shortens by one day,” said Prison Director Gilson Rafael Silva.
Each night the charged battery is used to light up the riverside promenade at Santa Rita do Sapucai in the mountains north of Sao Paulo. Long abandoned after dark, the area has been brought back to life.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 5Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Ugandan constitutional court strikes down anti-homosexuality law
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid
- 12:47 CET Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province
- 11:48 CET Cyprus expects to grant first casino resort licence within a year
- 10:38 CET Insight – Town vs town, faction vs faction as Libya descends into…
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…