A group of inmates in a Brazilian high-security jail, clad in red prison uniforms, pedal furiously on stationary exercise bikes.
Guards watch over them as they eat up the virtual kilometres.
The prisoners are not just cycling to keep fit: they are doing the local community a good turn, and by doing so get to reduce their sentences.
How? As they pedal, the inmates generate electricity which helps light the town at night.
Ronaldo da Silva is serving a five-and-a-half year term for holding up a bakery.
“Here, by cycling, we feel more important and more useful,” he says. “You feel better day-to-day.”
The scheme was the idea of a local judge. Businesses and police helped make it work.
“With our project, the idea is that they can now exercise, lose weight and at the same time it also benefits them because after every three days of work, their sentence shortens by one day,” said Prison Director Gilson Rafael Silva.
Each night the charged battery is used to light up the riverside promenade at Santa Rita do Sapucai in the mountains north of Sao Paulo. Long abandoned after dark, the area has been brought back to life.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 17:32 CET Syrian opposition coalition dissolves interim government
- 16:59 CET Italy arrests five for mass murder during boat crossing
- 16:54 CET Jokowi party claims victory in Indonesian presidential election
- 16:49 CET Striking South African unions considering latest offer
- 16:47 CET Italy parliament votes to allow arrest of Berlusconi ally
- 16:44 CET Kuwait revokes citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 16:42 CET Gunfire rings out near military base in Congo’s capital -witnesses
- 16:41 CET Colombian mine mechanics, government to seek end to 12-day strike