The mayor of the small Black Forest town of Triberg in Germany, otherwise famous for its waterfalls and reputedly the world’s biggest cuckoo clock, has put the town on the map with a revolutionary parking scheme.
Male and female symbols denote the parking spaces, with the women getting the wide, well-lit ones, while the men make do with tight corners and concrete pillars.
It sounds a bit like the famous gameshow Total Wipeout, but with cars.
Some find it sexist, but Mayor Gallus Strobel is unapologetic, insisting he wanted to “challenge political correctness,” adding that he thought ambitious drivers will find tight spaces an “attraction”, and that “as a rule men are a little better at such challenges.”
“It should be also an input of humour for our society! And of course, a tourist city depends on being famous. Now we have got so many reactions from all over the world which we never thought we’d get,” Strobel insists.
So what do the locals think of this brainwave?
“It’s completely crazy, a good carnival joke,” said one woman.
“Of course, our thing is parking backwards,” said one man, laughing.
So, if it is a bit of reverse-gear action you are after, head off to Triberg – newly-famous thanks to the wily Herr Strobel and his parking policy.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Six French skiers perish in deadly Alpine avalanche
- 2Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 3Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 4Dresden holds first PEGIDA protest since founder’s ‘Adolf Hitler’ photo blunder
- 5Looming Syriza victory gets mixed reactions in Athens
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Kyiv claims victory in new battle for control of Donetsk airport
- 3Anti-Charlie protests turn violent in Niger, Pakistan and Algeria
- 4Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 5Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:48 CET Greek leftist leader Tsipras claims victory over austerity
- 01:06 CET UK stars from Sting to Emma Thompson call on PM to help Syrian…
- 23:07 CET Afghan air force ascent slow, imperilling battle with Taliban
- 22:14 CET CSI Lahore – U.S. forensics big shot comes home to help Pakistan
- 21:08 CET Nigeria repels suspected Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri city
- 21:00 CET Honduran president says military crackdown has cut murder rate
- 20:44 CET Talks to end Yemen’s political crisis falter
- 20:23 CET Netanyahu defends planned Congress speech as anti-Iran strategy