The mayor of the small Black Forest town of Triberg in Germany, otherwise famous for its waterfalls and reputedly the world’s biggest cuckoo clock, has put the town on the map with a revolutionary parking scheme.
Male and female symbols denote the parking spaces, with the women getting the wide, well-lit ones, while the men make do with tight corners and concrete pillars.
It sounds a bit like the famous gameshow Total Wipeout, but with cars.
Some find it sexist, but Mayor Gallus Strobel is unapologetic, insisting he wanted to “challenge political correctness,” adding that he thought ambitious drivers will find tight spaces an “attraction”, and that “as a rule men are a little better at such challenges.”
“It should be also an input of humour for our society! And of course, a tourist city depends on being famous. Now we have got so many reactions from all over the world which we never thought we’d get,” Strobel insists.
So what do the locals think of this brainwave?
“It’s completely crazy, a good carnival joke,” said one woman.
“Of course, our thing is parking backwards,” said one man, laughing.
So, if it is a bit of reverse-gear action you are after, head off to Triberg – newly-famous thanks to the wily Herr Strobel and his parking policy.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 3‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 4Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 5Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 80 in Yemen
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 22:02 CET China land reclamation in South China Sea creates ‘new facts’ -…
- 21:12 CET Insurgents claim capture of last Syrian town in Idlib province
- 21:07 CET U.S. defence aid to Israel to rise over Iran deal fears – sources
- 20:56 CET EU Commission asks France for more information on taxi law
- 20:55 CET U.N. council has first-ever briefing on rights in Myanmar
- 20:30 CET North Korean nuclear and missile experts visit Iran – dissidents
- 20:12 CET U.S. think tank urges continued human rights pressure on Sri Lanka
- 20:00 CET Putin classifies information on deaths of Russian troops in…